Solar Charger and PowerBoost

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
nedelson

Solar Charger and PowerBoost

Post by nedelson »

Hi,

I am doing a solar project where I have an Adafruit solar lithium charger (http://www.adafruit.com/products/390) working with li-ion battery (https://www.adafruit.com/product/353) and a solar array I have put together (6v 6.8 Watts). I need this to power two usb outlets for cellphones and so far I have been using the a double usb boost from brown dog gadgets which really did not suit my needs as the charge controller that comes with it is redundant and it does not let me have the usb ports where I would like them.

Since then, I see that Adafruit has come out with the PowerBoost family which seems to be what I have been looking for.

My question: Can I split the load out port of your solar lithium charger to two PowerBoosts to have them work simultaneously to charge two phone? If so, which of the solar boost family would be ideal, basic or rechargeable? If not... any suggestions?

Much appreciated,

Nedelson

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Solar Charger and PowerBoost

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

The problem with this is that the solar charger can produce up to 6V, which will overload the powerboost.
What you want to do is, instead of using the LOAD output, you want to attach your powerboost to the BAT output and GND. That way, the powerboost is always running off the battery charge, and not directly off the solar panel.

And yes, you can split the BAT output to two powerboosts.

nedelson

Re: Solar Charger and PowerBoost

Post by nedelson »

Thank you very much rick

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”