LCD Backpack + 20x4 rgb lcd not working??

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Eha002

LCD Backpack + 20x4 rgb lcd not working??

Post by Eha002 »

Ive just hooked up the lcd backpack as shown, terminal block side is pin 1 through to pin 14
Pin15-18 are wired separately and i can control backlight quite easily.

But the screen just displays these boxes, i can get them to go away by using the contrast knob but then its just a blank screen. And cant get anything else up.

I have tried the adafruit liqidcrystal i2c hello world as well as the liquidcrystaltwi by falconfour and both have the same outcome.
I have resoldered all pins and have de-soldered and re-soldered. Double checked the pin layouts. And now im lost. Does anyone have any ideas?
I have hooked it up to both a mega and an uno, dat to pin 20 & clk to 21 and a4 & a5 respectively.

Im hoping its just too late at night and I need a fresh approach. Can anyone provide that fresh set of eyes.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (117.03 KiB) Viewed 295 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (177.13 KiB) Viewed 295 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (250.91 KiB) Viewed 295 times

adafruit_support_bill

Re: LCD Backpack + 20x4 rgb lcd not working??

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The soldering and connections look OK. Are you using stranded wire? This can be a problem in headers sometimes. Better to solder it to a pin or a short piece of solid-core.

Eha002

Post by Eha002 »

Yes it is stranded. With the ends tinned. But ill try with a pin soldered to each end and report back.

So the pin orientation seems correct?

Sorry for duplicate post,
The website said something along the lines of you do not have permission to view this page, when i pressed submit so i figured it failed to upload.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Yes, the pin orientation looks right. Usually we solder them from the back-side, but as long as pin 1 is positioned at the end with the terminal blocks, you should be OK.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”