Audio FX DOA?

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
kregh

Audio FX DOA?

Post by kregh »

Just received my audio fx board. Plugged it into a USB power source just to see its twinkling green light. Instead - I saw green and red LED's lit at the same time (see image below). According to what I read in the troubleshooting section - this should not be happening.

I plugged into my PC - same results - green and red LED are both on. (this is the 2Mb Amp powered version). Computer did not recognize this as an attached drive- BUT it did recognize it as a USB Audio device (see image below)

Picture attached with it hooked directly to a USB power source.

Tried multiple cables, tried different PC's, waved a bloody chicken foot at it and did some voodoo.... green and red LED are both on.

Here is what Event Viewer saw as a PnP device - and here are the results for system level logging

Driver Management concluded the process to install driver FileRepository\wdma_usb.inf_amd64_neutral_d9e9f15c971c38d4\wdma_usb.inf for Device Instance ID USB\VID_19FB&PID_0101&MI_00\6&E4471EB&0&0000 with the following status: 0x0.

I have no idea what the means.. but I thought it might be handy for support. This is a windows 7 machine.

I did try to reset the reset pin to ground.

So.. where do we go from here? ( I would like to have a resolution before turkey day (audio fx device hidden in the turkey - the turkey talks when someone picks it up !!.. it screams... it swears..it cries... !! how awesome is that!)

Thanks

Kreg
Attachments
Windows "thinks" this is a USB Audio device as opposed to a storage device
Windows "thinks" this is a USB Audio device as opposed to a storage device
USB Driver.png (129.95 KiB) Viewed 228 times
Unit connected to standard USB charger
Unit connected to standard USB charger
DOA board.JPG (121.12 KiB) Viewed 237 times

bbcentral

Re: Audio FX DOA?

Post by bbcentral »

Just got mine, and it's also DOA. I plug it into USB, I get "USB device not recognized".

After a couple of attempts it does show up as a Removable Disk in Windows, but when I try to access it it asks me to insert a disk into the drive.

Looking at the PCB, it seems to have had a manufacturing error:
IMAG0697.jpg
IMAG0697.jpg (136.44 KiB) Viewed 223 times
I doubt this is something I can fix myself.

Your board doesn't seem to have this same error, but it's hard to tell from the photo (maybe another part was also soldered on sideways?). I wonder if this is just a coincidence or if there was a bad batch?

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Audio FX DOA?

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

That's a capacitor which either squirmed off its pad in the reflow oven or got bumped off its pad before going into the oven.

Either way, it's a manufacturing error. Send a note to [email protected] with a link to this thread and the folks there will get you a replacement.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”