Huge 6V 5.6W Solar panel

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
lifepower

Huge 6V 5.6W Solar panel

Post by lifepower »

I have some questions regarding this 6V 5.6W solar panel that I've bought:

1. When facing directly the sun, output voltage appears to be around 7.3V. What is the absolute maximum output voltage that I can expect throughout the day?

2. Although this is described as "scratch resistant", after laying a couple of USB cables and Nexus 7 on top of it for one day (my mistake), I've noticed notable marks left on transparent plastic, which look like scratches. Also, when facing direct sun for a couple of minutes, this gets a bit warm. How durable is this transparent plastic and how resistant it is to heat cycles? (plastic and other parts compressing and expanding at different rate throughout the day)

Or, is there some sort of adhesive tape that I should remove from it?

3. What is expected life of these panels when placed 24/7 outside? (generally sunny conditions, with occasional rain, overall temperatures above 15C)

4. This is described as waterproof. Is this referring to fresh water? What about seawater? Will it rust with occasional salty water splashing on it? (e.g. when placed on a beach near water)

5. Is the bottom of panel also waterproof? Is the hole, where the cable is coming from, also protected, or should I take additional precautions there? (like pouring a bit of hot glue there to seal it off completely)

adafruit2

Re: Huge 6V 5.6W Solar panel

Post by adafruit2 »

hiya,
https://www.adafruit.com/product/1525
is a Voltaic product, so a lot of these details are going to be only stuff they know. please check out
http://support.voltaicsystems.com/
for support on their panels, thx! :)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”