Adafruit Audio FX Sound Board plays files that aren't there

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
adafruitguy

Adafruit Audio FX Sound Board plays files that aren't there

Post by adafruitguy »

I have an Adafruit Audio FX Sound Board + 2x2W Amp - WAV/OGG Trigger -16MB (PRODUCT ID: 2217). I loaded the Demo_Tracks and it worked great. I deleted T00.ogg ("Left Right") and it would still play "Left Right" when button 0 activated. I deleted and loaded new sounds as T00.wav, T01.wav, T02.wav, etc... And, it continued to play the original Demo_Tracks as buttons were activated. I reformatted (FAT) the Audio FX Sound Board, and loaded new sounds... It plays nothing. I deleted all, and reloaded Demo_Tracks... It plays nothing. Red light is always lit after reformatting.

I soldered up a second Adafruit Audio FX Sound Board + 2x2W Amp - WAV/OGG Trigger -16MB (PRODUCT ID: 2217) and... Loaded my own T01.wav... Plays perfectly! I deleted T00.ogg ("Left Right")... "Left Right" still plays when button 0 activated. I loaded my own T00.wav... "Left Right" still plays when button 0 activated. Spooky!
Attachments
Glamorous top view of Audio FX Sound Board
Glamorous top view of Audio FX Sound Board
IMG_4145.jpg (523.45 KiB) Viewed 572 times
Top view whole setup
Top view whole setup
IMG_4144.jpg (539.47 KiB) Viewed 572 times
Bottom view Audio FX Sound Board
Bottom view Audio FX Sound Board
IMG_4148.jpg (453.65 KiB) Viewed 572 times

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Adafruit Audio FX Sound Board plays files that aren't th

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

That is very spooky indeed. Are you sure you're not writing your files to a subdirectory? What kind of computer are you using? Are you ejecting the sound board after making changes to the files?

adafruitguy

Post by adafruitguy »

Mac (OS X 10.10.1). I take a long pause and unmount / "eject" the SFX each time I write to it.

No subdirectories (see screen shot, notice no "left right" T00.ogg) and yet still pin 0 is still producing "left right".

IMO, Lady Ada had some weird file system things going on in her new product video demo too, where the "random" trigger demo was very decidedly not random.

I will try reformatting both boards as FAT w/ MBR, again later.
Attachments
No T00.ogg file, still getting "left right" on pin 0.
No T00.ogg file, still getting "left right" on pin 0.
16MBSFX.png (235.13 KiB) Viewed 535 times

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Hmmm... Have you tried emptying the trash on the sound board?

coleke

Post by coleke »

I have the same problem! Also, my client ordered the 16mb version, but only the 2mb windisk format is available from you for download [no steps for doing this from a mac :( ]. I have to get this up and running by mid week, I think I am going to have to tell him no sfx!!! I tried deleting all the files and replacing them, only to find the previous files still on the disk. Tried reformatting and the stuff hit the fan. Was able to successfully reformat it on a small linux netbook, however, by using ubutu's disk utility. Had to be reformatted to FAT, then the partition had to be w95 16

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

this is wierd, but we actually never seriously tested deleting files - only adding them. we can recommend using a deleting tool that erases the file header from the FAT. please dont reformat because as you can tell the format is picky! You can also just replace the file with like a blank text file named T00.ogg

adafruitguy

Post by adafruitguy »

On OS X 10.10.2... I've had luck after repartitioning (Disk Utility) ADAFRUITSFX (layout: 1 partition, Format: MS-DOS FAT, Size: 16.70 MB, Options: Master Boot Record). When files are deleted, emptying the trash seems an important step.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”