Can't communicate with VC0706 camera

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Gollum999

Can't communicate with VC0706 camera

Post by Gollum999 »

I've got an Arduino Uno and two VC0706 cameras. I've been following the tutorial and have gotten the cameras partially working.

I am able to get a working video signal from the analog out, and I've gotten the cameras to work with the provided CommTool. However, I cannot get the camera library and sample code to recognize the camera. cam.begin() always gives the message "No camera found?". So I went into the library code and added some extra print statements to see where it is failing, and I have discovered that it is timing out because I am not receiving any data.

I'm pretty new to Arduinos, so is there something basic I am forgetting? The only modification I made to the sample code was commenting out all of the sections that reference the SD card; I do not have that hooked up yet, I'm trying to get some sort of camera response first. I thought it could be a baud rate problem, but CommTool works perfectly at the default 38400 baud.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Can't communicate with VC0706 camera

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Double-check your connections.. do you have the Arduino's TX line connected to the camera's RX line and vice versa?

Gollum999

Post by Gollum999 »

Yes. I tried swapping them just in case but the result is the same.

Gollum999

Post by Gollum999 »

Figured out the problem. Of course it was something stupid; One of my resistors was the wrong value, so all the camera responses were going straight to ground. Whoops.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Did that last night myself.. I needed a 1M resistor for a phototransistor sensor, so I grabbed what I thought was a brown-black-green. Turns out it was brown-green-black (15 ohms) and I spent ten minutes trying to figure out why the sensor wouldn't respond to changes in light levels.. ;-)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”