is Flora RGB Smart NeoPixel WS2812B?

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Dotgarden

is Flora RGB Smart NeoPixel WS2812B?

Post by Dotgarden »

Just to clarify,are these neopixels WS2812B protocal? I plan on making my own led strips but much further spaced apart, and running them via a device that uses WS2812B protocal. Wondering if I should expect that to work? Should these, if wored correctly, work just like a WS2812B strip? Thank you!

adafruit_support_mike

Re: is Flora RGB Smart NeoPixel WS2812B?

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Yes.

The Flora NeoPixels use the WS2812B to get the 400kHz data rate. We used to have a version that used the WS2812S, which is limited to 100kHz, but we don't make those any more.

Dotgarden

Post by Dotgarden »

Thank you. One more thing. How bright are these leds?

adafruit_support_mike

The simple answer is that the LEDs have the following output specs:

- Red: 390-420mcd
- Green: 660-720mcd
- Blue: 180-200mcd

Unfortunately, translating those numbers to "how bright does that look?" is impossible to answer. The human eye responds to light in terms of ratios, so you have to compare their output to the surrounding ambient light level. In the dark, they're almost blinding. Under noonday sun, not so much.

Dotgarden

Post by Dotgarden »

Thank you for your helpful answers.

Dotgarden

Post by Dotgarden »

Hi, sorry for the dribbling in questions, but I have another. Are they also WS2811?

adafruit_support_mike

The WS2811 and WS2812 families work differently.

The WS2812 (which we use in NeoPixels) only uses VCC, GND, and data (data-in and data-out to be precise).

The WS2811 uses VCC, GND, data, and a clock signal (in and out for both data and clock).

WS2811s can't talk to WS2812s, and vice versa.

jillkhartley

Post by jillkhartley »

Hi there,

I am hoping to use the 800MHz new Flora RGB NeoPixels v.2 to also build a grid out of strips with 8" spacing between LEDs. I have some questions before placing a large'ish order:

- Are they (still) the same as the WS2812B? Do all of the Arduino sketch examples using an Arduino microcontroller and the WS2812B NeoPixel examples work "as is" with the Flora NeoPixels, as well? Do they also have reverse polarity protection? Are the data sheets identical?

- Is it necessary to use the Flora with the Flora NeoPixels, or can I use an Arduino or other Atmel AVR? I know the ATmega32u4 chip has built-in USB support (presumably for battery support?) My project will be powered by the AdaFruit 5V 10A power supply and I am "on the fence" about using the Flora, or building a board.

- Is the best way to add power supply to the Flora using female DC power adapter (below)?
https://www.adafruit.com/products/368

- Is using a ~470 ohm resistor between microcontroller data pin and DIN recommended for the first Flora NeoPixel in a series (as it is for prepackaged NeoPixel strand)?

- What about the 1000uF capacitor recommendation across + and - terminals (as it is for prepackaged NeoPixel strand)?

- Do you have an Eagle part for the Flora NeoPixel? If so, could you please direct me to the exact part name and library?

- Instead of conductive thread, I will likely use braided copper as it was suggested in one of your tutorials. Do you have a gauge recommendation? I would be happy to buy it from AdaFruit if you carry it and can provide a part number. I will have 80 Flora NeoPixels in series on an 8 x 10 array with 8" spacing between each NeoPixel. Is this best choice for least resistance wire and to carry the current adequately?

- It is ok to use epoxy on the back of the Flora NeoPixels to secure? The grid will be attached to an HDPE (cutting board) like plastic and not much sticks to it :)

Please let me know if this preliminary design raises any questions, or concerns I haven't yet identified! I am new to the world of electronics :)

Thanks!

Jill

Thank you for you

adafruit_support_mike

jillkhartley wrote:Are they (still) the same as the WS2812B? Do all of the Arduino sketch examples using an Arduino microcontroller and the WS2812B NeoPixel examples work "as is" with the Flora NeoPixels, as well? Do they also have reverse polarity protection? Are the data sheets identical?
Yes, yes, no, and yes.
jillkhartley wrote:Is it necessary to use the Flora with the Flora NeoPixels, or can I use an Arduino or other Atmel AVR? I know the ATmega32u4 chip has built-in USB support (presumably for battery support?) My project will be powered by the AdaFruit 5V 10A power supply and I am "on the fence" about using the Flora, or building a board.
Any microcontroller will work, but the PCBs for the Flora pixels are made to be friendly for wearable projects.
jillkhartley wrote:Is the best way to add power supply to the Flora using female DC power adapter (below)?
https://www.adafruit.com/products/368
'Best' depends on the requirements of the project, but that adapter is a good general-purpose solution.
jillkhartley wrote:Is using a ~470 ohm resistor between microcontroller data pin and DIN recommended for the first Flora NeoPixel in a series (as it is for prepackaged NeoPixel strand)?
Yes. It reduces the tendency for line inductance to cause voltage spikes.
jillkhartley wrote:What about the 1000uF capacitor recommendation across + and - terminals (as it is for prepackaged NeoPixel strand)?
Use that too. It smooths out ripple in the supply rails produced by the pixel PWM.
jillkhartley wrote:Do you have an Eagle part for the Flora NeoPixel? If so, could you please direct me to the exact part name and library?
No.
jillkhartley wrote:Instead of conductive thread, I will likely use braided copper as it was suggested in one of your tutorials. Do you have a gauge recommendation?
80 pixels have a peak current consumption of about 5A, and either 18-gauge or 20-gauge stranded copper should be able to carry that comfortably.

You'll probably want to connect VCC and GND to one end of each 10-pixel column. A single large cap where those lines meet the main power input should serve the whole matrix.
jillkhartley wrote:It is ok to use epoxy on the back of the Flora NeoPixels to secure? The grid will be attached to an HDPE (cutting board) like plastic and not much sticks to it :)
Yep. PCBs are made from epoxy, so a little more won't bother them.

jillkhartley

Post by jillkhartley »

thanks for the answers!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”