Audio fx Sound Board

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
volitare88

Audio fx Sound Board

Post by volitare88 »

I have ordered three of the adafruit fx sound boards (1 2mb, 2 16 mb) And so far the the first two work great. But when I hooked everything up for the last one and it seems to not work. I am powering it from a USB to wall adapter and when I plug it in it the green light comes on, it is quiet for a moment, then makes a very quiet high pitched digital static noise. (I'm not sure how else to describe it). When I trigger a pin, it does not play a noise. If I listen very carefully, it appears that the at times the very quiet static noise changes when I trigger, but that may just be in my head. Did I get a broke one? I didn't test it on a testing board, is it possible that I damaged it when soldering (I really doubt this). Help!

volitare88

Re: Audio fx Sound Board

Post by volitare88 »

I also get a nice "beep" when I plug it into my computer, so I know the speakers work.

volitare88

Post by volitare88 »

The noise is extremely quiet, but it is audible if everything else is quiet.

Funman1

Post by Funman1 »

I would say post some closeup pics of your soldering and also have you tired battery power instead of USB?

Flackmonkey

Post by Flackmonkey »

I am also getting a very quite hiss (white noise) when not playing. When using batteries the noise is still there but at a slightly different pitch possibly due to voltage differences. The noise is very faint but noticeable. I have two of these and this noise is present on both. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?

Ironically I am using these as a white noise player for my toddler an infant to help them sleep and I am trying to eliminate the white noise when NOT playing. :-)

Funman1

Post by Funman1 »

Is this on the version with the amp or headphone jack?

Flackmonkey

Post by Flackmonkey »

I am not sure what the original poster is using but I have the amplified non audio jack version and I am using these speakers https://www.pololu.com/product/1258

Funman1

Post by Funman1 »

I just fired up mine and if there is NOTHING else going on (no fridge, no hvac, etc..) then yes there is a TINY hiss, but I think this is normal.
Remember this is a super low cost audio player for simple sounds, it's not a HiFi system, or an Ipod.

Flackmonkey

Post by Flackmonkey »

Yea it's more annoying than anything. Just wondering if anyone has a suggestion on reducing/eliminating it.

Funman1

Post by Funman1 »

You could create a small low pass filter to kick out the really high hissing.
The capacitor MUST be ceramic and NON-Polarized.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The hiss is a known-but-rare problem that's hard for our testing system to catch.

Send a note to [email protected] with a link to this thread and the folks will get you a new Audio FX Board.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”