Using multiple FT232H devices on one computer

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
wonko42

Using multiple FT232H devices on one computer

Post by wonko42 »

Hey guys, I've been playing around with the FT232H board: https://www.adafruit.com/products/2264 and I've come to a point where I actually want to use 2 of these boards on the same computer. Is there a way to connect to the different boards individually (at the same time)? I'm using the adafruit python library and it looks like it just looks for the first boards it sees and connects to that one (and they all have the same vid and pid).

Any idea how to make this work?

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Using multiple FT232H devices on one computer

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

What OS are you using?

snabkey

Post by snabkey »

I have the same question.. I am using Linux.

adafruit_support_mike

From the host computer, the FT232 is a USB device, so you should be able to target your code for whatever device file or COM port is appropriate.

snabkey

Post by snabkey »

So I get that... I dont find any reference in the GPIO USB code that it pays attention to which device. It appears just to look for the FIRST device it finds. Do you have an example that might show us HOW to pick which one of the FT232h's we would be targeting?

I am a rookie - so be gentle.

Thanks so much for your help!

adafruit_support_mike

Hmm.. you're right that the code uses the first FTDI chip it finds, and I don't see a function that lets you specify a device file in the underlying code.

I know libftdi has functions to handle multiple devices.. you can get a list of all the FTDI chips connected to the bus, select them by index in the list, or by device file.

Let me check with the team who wrote the FT232 code and see if they know how to get at those functions.

tdicola

Post by tdicola »

Ah good question, yep right now the library just grabs the first device it finds by VID and PID. However I can push some changes to support enumerating and picking a device by number. Let me check what options are available in libftdi to see what we can expose for picking devices.

tdicola

Post by tdicola »

Alright I just made a few small updates to the python library so you can list all connected device serial numbers, and open a specific device given the serial number.

First you'll want to update your python code by grabbing the latest code from github here: https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Python_GPIO Download the zip of the repository, unzip it, then in a terminal navigate to the folder and run:

Code: Select all

sudo python setup.py install --force
(skip the sudo if running on Windows)

Now there's a new global function on the Adafruit_GPIO.FT232H module called enumerate_device_serials. It will return a list of all connected FT232H device serial numbers (and you can optionally override the USB VID & PID for the devices to search, but by default it uses the FT232H VID & PID). For example code like this would list the devices:

import Adafruit_GPIO.FT232H as FT232H

# Unload any FTDI drivers built into the kernel/OS.
FT232H.use_FT232H()

# Get list of device serial numbers
serials = FT232H.enumerate_device_serials()

print 'Found', len(serials), 'FT232H devices with serial numbers:'
for s in serials:
    print s
Make sure to run the above as root with sudo if on mac or linux and it should list connected FT232H device serials.

The other change I made is to the FT232H class constructor, now it takes an optional serial parameter that you can pass a string serial number to select that specific device. For example if you know the serial of a device is 'FT123' you can open it like this:

FT232H.use_FT232H()

# Open device with serial number FT123
device = FT232H.FT232H(serial='FT123')

# Now device is open and can be used like any other FT232H device!
Give that a shot and let me know if you run into any issues, thanks!

snabkey

Post by snabkey »

Thanks so MUCH! I will try it out as soon as I am able! Awesome!

enkoder

Post by enkoder »

I am getting a -7 (get product manufacturer failed) error when using enumerate_device_serials(). I have tried several different versions of libftdi and am using the latest. Could this be an issue with the chip? I assume the serials are being pulled off the eeprom.
RuntimeError: ftdi_usb_get_strings returned error -7: libusb_get_string_descriptor_ascii() failed
Note there's also an issue with the error number to string translation, but it shows the manufacturer error. Any ideas?

enkoder

Post by enkoder »

The problem is the eeprom is not readable when the we just get the ft232h. After I erased the device using
sudo ftdi_eeprom --flash-eeprom config.conf
config.conf looked like this
vendor_id=0x403
product_id=0x6014
filename="eeprom.bin"
I was able to re-flash using FTProg and then enumerate_device_serials worked fine. IMO you should add a screen in your manufacturing test to see if you can pull the serial and mfg info from eeprom before shipping to customers. Seems like several people have had the same problem as I have.

tdicola

Post by tdicola »

Oh thanks for digging in and finding that erasing the chip makes it visible to FTProg. We've been using libftdi to flash the chips during tests but I'll look to see if there's a better way to have them in a clean state for FTProg to use. I can update our usage guide to call out using the FTDI eeprom erase though so folks find it easily in the future. Thanks for checking out the FT232H board and finding the fix!

mailhouse

Post by mailhouse »

The problem is that while the serial number field is populated, the board ships with eeprom field SerNumEnableH set to zero instead of one.

erasing the eeprom makes it so the power LED no longer lights up. which field in the eeprom is that on?

also, for mac users, the eeprom can be read from and written to with the sample apps in the D2XX driver code.

tdicola

Post by tdicola »

Oh interesting, thanks for the tip on the EEPROM setting. It looks like that might be set by libftdi when its writing the EEPROM.

For the LEDs on the board there's one connected to ACBUS8 (red LED) and another connected to ACBUS9 (green LED). You can actually set them up to have different behaviors by changing the EEPROM values, check out section 3.4 of the datasheet: http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documen ... FT232H.pdf For example they can be a UART TX/RX LED, or just driven high/low to turn on or off. To have the green light always turned on use FT_prog to set the EEPROM to drive ACBUS9 low (the LEDs have pull-ups to 3.3V so drive them low to turn on).

Kryptonite

Post by Kryptonite »

I have been using this board for I2C and SPI based communication & no issues seen with that. However I cant seem to detect the device based on serial number.
I only keep getting Found 0 FT232H devices with serial numbers:

Here is what i have in my script !

FT232H.use_FT232H()

# Get list of device serial numbers
serials = FT232H.enumerate_device_serials(vid=0403, pid=6014)

print 'Found', len(serials), 'FT232H devices with serial numbers:'
for s in serials:
    print s

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”