PowerBoost 500 Charger/Microlipo adjust charge current

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
fetidpants

PowerBoost 500 Charger/Microlipo adjust charge current

Post by fetidpants »

I'm looking at purchasing a PowerBoost 500 Charger that includes the MicroLipo battery charger (Product ID: 1944 , https://www.adafruit.com/products/1944). Initially, I plan to only use the MicroLipo charger function to charge a Li-ion battery that can currently only be charged while inserted in it's device (Parrot Zik headphones). The battery has a capacity of 800 mAh (1C continuous discharge) and wants to be charged at 3.7V, 400 mA max. I've read that the MicroLipo charger sold as a separate unit (PRODUCT ID: 1904, https://www.adafruit.com/product/1304) comes default at 100 mA charge current, the but MicroLipo as part of the PowerBoost 500 Charger unit claims to have a 500mA charge current, which is too high for my battery.

Is the MicroLipo as part of the PowerBoost 500 Charger indeed already soldered for 500 mA? Is it possible to desolder to return to the default 100 mA charge rate?

I haven't brushed up on my circuit design too much (part of the reason for starting some simple projects), but couldn't I also just wire a ~37 Ohm resistor in parallel with the battery to drop the 500 mA current (400 mA to the battery, 100 mA dissipated by the resistor) while keeping 3.7V?

Any other suggestions or advice would be appreciated, thanks for the help!
Tyler

adafruit_support_rick

Re: PowerBoost 500 Charger/Microlipo adjust charge current

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

You can replace R8 with a 10k for a 100mA charge rate, or with a 5k for a 200mA charge rate.
Attachments
Powerboost_R8.png
Powerboost_R8.png (1.71 MiB) Viewed 159 times

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”