Audio FX Schematics and Source Code

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
joshuakane

Audio FX Schematics and Source Code

Post by joshuakane »

Hi there,

I know you guys generally publish all your schematics and source code to github, but I was wondering if it was possible to make the request to release the information on the Audio FX boards.

Thanks,

Joshua

wassabi

Re: Audio FX Schematics and Source Code

Post by wassabi »

Piggy back a follow-up question.

Is it possible to reprogram the Audio FX Sound Board firmware over the built-in usb or using a FTDI cable? Reading the VS1000 Programmer’s Guide and it seems possible.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The schematic and production image for the FX board are available on the Downloads page of the tutorial: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-aud ... /downloads

WRT the code for the firmware, I'll have to check on that.

WRT programming the VS1000 via the USB cable, it's possible to reload the main image that way, but I'm not sure what else would be involved. It may require a proprietary compiler.

rehr

Post by rehr »

Building on this question, I recently used the available schematic to build my own audio fx board, with the addition of a usb battery charger onboard, and I've run into the issue of not being able to flash the VS1000D chip. I was wondering you guys (Adafruit) could offer any insight on how you program your boards. From reading the datasheet and documents for the VS1000D, it looks like you have to flash over SPI EEPROM, so I've broken those pins out and I've tried following these instructions (http://www.vlsi.fi/fileadmin/software/V ... amming.txt), but I can't seem to get the "No Flash" drive to appear. If you have any advice or if you could share how you are able to program your audio fx boards, I'd greatly appreciate it. I've bought a few from adafruit in the past, and they've been a lot of fun in projects, I just wanted to try my hand at making my own this time.

Thanks in advance for any help!

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

hiya, for the VS1000 core code and programming info, all that is on VLSI's website, you'll need to use a USB-serial cable and hold down the CS pin while resetting to put into bootloader mode, then use the VLSI toolchain to compile and upload over RX/TX. its not an easy process, and we don't a tutorial - however it is possible on windows 7 at least which is how we programmed the boards :)

rehr

Post by rehr »

Great! I'll try that out. Thanks for the quick and informative reply!

hellcat_flyer

Post by hellcat_flyer »

I'm also seeking the source code for this board. Is there any plan to release it?
Thanks!

grinliz

Post by grinliz »

I would like source code as well; I *love* the Audio FX board, and drive it through UART mode. But I'd like volume control to be set/get instead of up/down. (It works fine, but is very slow to change volume step by step over serial.) And I'd like a "no click" mode when transitioning between files: basically a very fast fade-out then fade-in on the next file so the speaker doesn't click on a stop-then-play.

I certainly haven't found any better hardware than the Audio FX...but it would be great to be able to tweak the software. (And please consider the setVol() and "no click" mode feature requests if you don't release the source.)

adafruit_support_mike

As mentioned above, the code is on the VLSI website.

grinliz

Post by grinliz »

Sorry, obviously didn't read through the whole thread! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

boutzo

Post by boutzo »

Is the source code on your fx board the default code from VSLI ? I too would like to alter some functions for a project but I also would like to go back to your code if what I try does not work out.

Is the image that you provide on the download section just for reformatting the flash or does it include the source code as well?

I don't want to try anything until I know I can revert back to the source code that it was shipped with.

Thanks

adafruit_support_mike

The disk images in the tutorial are only for the Flash memory. I think the firmware is the stock VLSI code, but will check.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

our firmware is a slight change to the default VLSI firmware - if you look thru it you'll see all the functionality is there! :)
we don't have a way to 'reburn' the firmware - once you overwrite it, its lost! VLSI also sells low cost VS1000D dev boards

boutzo

Post by boutzo »

The firmware can be burned from usb to serial according to VLSI it's just a matter of if you are willing to post your version as a reference or if you could elaborate on the "slight change". I was interested if the USE_QUEUE, USE_TYPE and GAPLESS functions were implemented in your version. Also would like to change the baudrate. I'd hate to spend the $$ on a dev board if I could just burn what I got.

Thanks for the response

chrisgrenier

Post by chrisgrenier »

Hi,I need the firmware to make corrections, is it possible to have the source code?

Thanks,

Best

Chris

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”