Trellis not detected

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
pingpong1109

Trellis not detected

Post by pingpong1109 »

I got myself a Trellis and connected it to my Pi using this tutorial https://learn.adafruit.com/trellis-pyth ... y/overview. I know I have i2c enabled because the RGB display works. Doing sudo i2cdetect -y 1 shows nothing in any of the addresses. Any help would be nice.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Trellis not detected

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Post a photo of your hardware and connections and we'll take a look.

pingpong1109

Post by pingpong1109 »

Ah sorry, should have thought about that. Note: The purple wire is the INT and I believe doesn't need to be connected. Another Note: Image wouldn't attach properly so here is a link https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3f3II ... sp=sharing

adafruit_support_mike

The connections look okay..

Let's double-check the basics: check the voltage between the 5v and GND pads on the Trellis, then check continuity between the SDA/SCL pads and the connectors on the GPIO pins.

pingpong1109

Post by pingpong1109 »

It seems the 5v wire has allot of resistance on it. I am going to try a different wire and see if that fixes the issue. I will report back soon.

pingpong1109

Post by pingpong1109 »

I am happy to report that fixed it. I am kinda embarrassed that I didn't think about that myself. I really appreciate your help :) Thank you!

adafruit_support_mike

Nah, debugging is a skill in its own right. It takes time and practice to pick up the moves.

The basic rule is "don't trust anything you haven't verified with a meter" followed closely by "when in doubt, use two meters and make sure they agree". ;-)

It's good to make a habit of testing things as you build.. when you solder a connection, check continuity between points on either side of it. Connect power temporarily (if it won't damage the partial circuit) and take some quick voltage readings to make sure things are where they need to be. Connect a battery and a 1k resistor to any LEDs to make sure they're in the right way around. 90% of all testing is pretty basic, and if you do it as you go it narrows the list of options when you discover a problem.

Glad to hear it's working for you though. Happy hacking!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”