MAX9814 threshold

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
memel182

MAX9814 threshold

Post by memel182 »

Hello,

I am using this board to record the ambiant sound in a room and/or environment sound outdoor. But playing back the recorded sound I found that in quiet moments (silence), I ear a lot of noise. I made some improvements in my circuitry to reduce it, but now I assume that I need to "weight" the values recorded in silence since they are the most amplified (hope I am clear enough).

But now I lack another information : is it possible to know the gain applied by the AGC at any time? I do not mean the static gain configured by the corresponding pin, but the automatic gain choosen by the AGC component...

I have read that it is possible to configure the threshold at what the AGC triggers : that's ok, and would let me know what sound is amplified or not, but not the exact gain...

Thanks for your help

adafruit_support_bill

Re: MAX9814 threshold

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I don't believe there is a way to read the applied gain from the AGC circuit. For your application, the MAX4466 may be a better choice.
https://www.adafruit.com/product/1063

memel182

Post by memel182 »

Ok, I will try a different way... Is there any example schematic on how to set the threshold? (define the resistors values regarding the wanted threshold values...)

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

AGC does not increase gain for low signals. It reduces gain for signals above the threshold. So for 'quiet' times, the gain will be what you program it for.
You can disable AGC entirely by shorting the TH pin to MICBIAS. To set a specific threshold, you can change the values of R1 and R2. MICBIAS is 2v. The standard formula for a resistor divider is:

Vout = R2 / (R1 + R2) * Vin.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”