40-pin TFT friend questions

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mikemoretti

40-pin TFT friend questions

Post by mikemoretti »

Hi,

I've bought the 40-pin TFT friend and have a few questions. I know it comes with a LED backlight driver. This driver isn't connected to any of the pins on the cable, right? They need to be wired separately via the through holes? The reason I ask is because I don't want to use the driver on the board. The screen I have is 15.6" and requires 12v (and 160mA normal operation with 2A startup). I have a 12v 4A wall wart that I had planned to just directly attach to the backlight connectors (as well as use it with some regulators to power the MCU at 5v 2A and the lcd data itself at 3.3v very low mA). I'm not really sure about this though. Would there be a reason I would need a driver circuit as opposed to just getting power from the wall wart?

Thanks!

adafruit_support_mike

Re: 40-pin TFT friend questions

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

You don't have to use the on-board LED power connection if you have some other circuit ready to do the job.

Just make sure you're following all the usual precautions like making sure the other supply isn't pumping voltage into anything that will cause trouble on the breakout (probably won't be an issue) and making sure the GND rails are connected if necessary.

mikemoretti

Re: 40-pin TFT friend questions

Post by mikemoretti »

Awesome, thanks!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”