PowerBoost 1000C overheating / short?

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mct

PowerBoost 1000C overheating / short?

Post by mct »

Hi,

I recently purchased a PowerBoost 1000C for use with a 2500mAh lipo battery. It had been working beautifully for a few days, but now when I plug in the battery, the red "low" LED blinks very, very fast, and the PCB becomes *incredibly* hot within a second -- hot enough to badly burn a finger. I can't quite tell where the heat is coming from. I confirmed the battery has good voltage, and is currently putting out 3.9V. When I plug in the USB cable with the battery disconnected, the yellow LED comes on, and it also becomes incredibly hot, although it takes longer to reach the same temperature. I have header pins soldered on, but nothing connected.

Is this a known failure mode? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Franklin97355

Re: PowerBoost 1000C overheating / short?

Post by Franklin97355 »

Could you post some pictures?

mct

Post by mct »

Sure, you can find them here: http://imgur.com/a/jo4QO

I tried to take some video of the red LED flashing, but it wasn't showing up on camera. It's very faint.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Email [email protected] with a link to this thread and they will help you get a replacement PowerBoost.

fadiayad

Post by fadiayad »

I have the same problem with my powerboost 1000C
but mine is doing that since first use, and the battery is brand new

however when I connect the USB, both the yellow and green lights are on, indicating that the battery is full
and no output on 5V pins,
when I remove the USB charger, the power led "Blue" turns on, the output of the powerboost becoms about 2.5Volts and it jst keeps heating up, until the red led starts flashing

noimjosh

Post by noimjosh »

fadiayad wrote:I have the same problem with my powerboost 1000C
but mine is doing that since first use, and the battery is brand new

however when I connect the USB, both the yellow and green lights are on, indicating that the battery is full
and no output on 5V pins,
when I remove the USB charger, the power led "Blue" turns on, the output of the powerboost becoms about 2.5Volts and it jst keeps heating up, until the red led starts flashing
I have this same issue with a PowerBoost 1000C that I purchased. Is this something that I can fix myself? I was just about to add the description of my problem, but this sums it up.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Post a photo showing your hardware and connections and we'll take a look. 800x600 images usually work best.

bigboi

Post by bigboi »

I recently bought a powerboost 1000c and its having a very similar problem. When the battery is plugged in the red light flashes, and when the charger is plugged in, the orange light comes on and the red light flashes. Regardless of how long I charge it the red light never stops flashing. Also it heats up very quickly upon plugging in the charger.

adafruit_support_mike

Post a photo of the charger and your battery please. The LiPo doesn't have to be connected, we just need to check the polarity of the wiring. 800x600 images usually work best.

apratisindustries

Post by apratisindustries »

I have the same problem I think my board is faulty and I wanna see what we can do about it.

macaceuk

Post by macaceuk »

Hello, my powerboost 1000c also seems to be faulty, I've been using it in my pi zero build, it worked fine for literally 6 hours, now when I switch it on the low power indicator is lit and after a few seconds the system turns off and on again, this is regardless of the battery and/or charger being plugged in.

Roark

Post by Roark »

Hi, I'm having the same overheating problem described here. I've tested the boards with new batteries, and there was no change. The order number is #1459882-0132093877. I would like a replacement as soon as possible, this is a very important project that should have been completed by now but is currently being held up by these faulty power boards. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Image: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NWcs-b ... sp=sharing
Note: the red light does not show in the photo, as it turns off very quickly after the battery is plugged in.

adafruit_support_mike

Please start new threads for new issues.

It’s practically impossible to debug more than one set of hardware in a single thread, and posts tacked onto the end of other threads — especially after the original issue has been resolved — are easy for us to miss.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”