Battery Smoking? Defective?

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Mboyette92

Battery Smoking? Defective?

Post by Mboyette92 »

I get home from work and my package arrived at my apartment, noticeably dented but I didn't think anything of this. Everything was fine and I went to pick up food on my GoPed for not even 30 min, I come home and it smelled terrible; turns out the "Lithium Ion Polymer Battery - 3.7v 2500mAh" was smoking, luckily I had it charging on a "USB LiIon/LiPoly charger" sitting on a cardboard box so no furniture was harmed. I threw it outside just in case it was to act up. I browsed through the Contact Us page and couldn't find any way to contact them directly. How would I know if it's the battery or the charger that did this, I've literally had both of these things for less than an hour.
I have no idea if I should buy a replacement now and hope that somehow I'll get reimbursed for a faulty battery or buy both a new charger and batter and find out how this happened.
What Should I Do?
I'm glad my apartment didn't burn down.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Battery Smoking? Defective?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

noticeably dented but I didn't think anything of this
Was there any damage to the battery itself? Lithium batteries are not safe to use or charge if the outer envelope has been damaged. If there are any dents, punctures or signs of swelling or puffing up, you should dispose of it safely.
How would I know if it's the battery or the charger that did this,
Most likely it is the battery. Please contact [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement.

Mboyette92

Re: Battery Smoking? Defective?

Post by Mboyette92 »

I looked at the battery and I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary, ends were folded like it shows in the picture and no dents, puntures, or anything.
Contacting them now, thank you.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”