Audio Board doesn't work

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Preston0258

Re: Audio Board doesn't work

Post by Preston0258 »

Thanks again for the input!

Still got the same result as I did before. The board won't play audio, but the green LED turns on indicating that it is on, though the red LED which signals the playing of audio doesn't even do so much as blink, it just stays off.
The board I am using is here: https://www.adafruit.com/product/2220 However it doesn't have a headphone jack it has those blue plug-ins for the speaker. Similar to the picture in this product's description: https://www.adafruit.com/product/2210
Thanks again! Your help is much appreciated!

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

I think we'll just have to call this one 'randomly dead'.

Send a note to [email protected] with a link to this thread and your order number. The folks there will get you a replacement FX Board.

Preston0258

Post by Preston0258 »

Thank you for all of your help!!! It was much appreciated!

Preston0258

Post by Preston0258 »

Unfortunately my replacement board is having the same issue. Could it be my computer's USB technology? I have a Lenovo with USB 3.0 ports and running Windows 8.1. I have an old 2008 MacBook as well that runs a little slow so I don't use it much, but it has USB 2.0 ports and runs OSX. Should I try uploading audio files to the board through the MacBook? Or do you have any other thoughts? (To clarify I can get the files to upload, I just can't get them to play so I am wondering if it has to do with the USB technology and the transferring of info through USB 3.0 vs USB 2.0)
Thanks for all feedback!

adafruit_support_mike

Try it with the Mac. We've seen other devices have trouble with USB-3.

Preston0258

Post by Preston0258 »

That isn't working either. So I have noticed something strange about the open source equipment in my house... Just bear with me here it is kind of a long explanation. So when I was using a photoresistor with my arduino, is set the light to turn on when below a value of 500. But it just continuously stayed on. So I opened up the serial monitor and it was only reading a value of 5, that would mean my room would have had to be close to pitch black for the value to be 5. So I tried shining an flashlight on it and astoundingly the value only went up to 12. Ok I may have made a mistake in my code somewhere is what I originally thought. Now here is the part I am struggling to understand. I went outside with the setup and my computer because I was getting a headache and wanted some fresh air but also wanted to finish the project. All of a sudden the values started reading from 650-700(it was around 11:00 AM) I thought the board just had a minor error or something. So I went back inside to my room to put my computer and setup back, I wanted to test it one more time though, and when I tested it the value it read was 5. Why??? I then began going from inside to outside and I tried to match the brightness outside with outside with the brightness in my house and the result remained the same(kept getting 5 in my house and 650-700 outside). Now I bear the question what is making my arduino do this? And could this also be why the audio fx board isn't working?
I have tried getting new photoresistors and a new arduino, but the result has remained the same.
Sorry for the long post. All feedback is appreciated!
Thanks!

adafruit_support_mike

What you're seeing is the difference between a photoresistor and the human eye.

Humans see ratios rather than absolute light levels. "Twice as many photons" looks like the same increase in brightness whether it's a jump from 1 photon to 2 (yes, we can see that) or from 1 million to 2 million. The difference is barely noticable, too.

In terms of absolute intensity, sunlight on a clear day can be 100 million times as intense as a moonless night, and our eyes have evolved to see in both sets of conditions. If they couldn't, we'd go blind every time the sun went behind a cloud. It's normal for the light levels outside on a clear day to be more than a hundred times higher than indoor light, but all we notice is a few seconds of our eyes adjusting to the new conditions.

Photoresistors respond to absolute light levels, so changes we barely notice can make a huge difference to them.

Preston0258

Post by Preston0258 »

Ok thank you for clearing that up! What are your thoughts on the audio board?

adafruit_support_mike

It's very unlikely that you got two boards that failed in the same way.

Post another photo showing your hardware and connections please. Let's check those again.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”