Help Needed with a Software Defined Radio Receiver USB Stick

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
DudeFromVA

Help Needed with a Software Defined Radio Receiver USB Stick

Post by DudeFromVA »

Hello,

I purchased a Software Defined Radio Receiver USB Stick - RTL2832 w/R820T and installed it with one of the quick-start guides on the website. Link to the guide I used: https://learn.adafruit.com/getting-star ... p/overview

After I installed it and set everything up, I tried using it with SDR-Sharp. I would get audio, but it was just static. I tried the gigantic FM station that broadcasts off a mountain, nothing. The NWS weather alert station, nada. Even the frequency for the police band, zilch. I messed with all the settings, still nothing. So I tried another program, this time using HDSDR, again trying every frequency I could think of and messing with all the settings, still no audio but static.

I am unsure what I am doing wrong and I am hoping you all can help.

Just some quick info, I am using Windows XP System Pack 3, I have Firefox 28.0, I have the updated versions of Flash, Java and Shockwave.

DudeFromVA

Re: Help Needed with a Software Defined Radio Receiver USB S

Post by DudeFromVA »

I'm not particularly sure what I did, but it's working. I have audio and not static! :) I removed the USB from the port (checking the connection to the antenna once again) and I accidently popped the front of off the USB. I put it back together (gently) and put the USB back in the port and it worked! It is working with both SDR-Sharp and HDSDR.

If someone could let me know exactly what I did so I could do it again should it stop receiving non-static audio, I would appreciate it. :)

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

There may have been a marginal connection in the USB connector.

A lot of "it didn't work but now it does" events go undiagnosed because they're unrepeatable. The ones that come back in a predictable way are the ones that get dissected.

DudeFromVA

Post by DudeFromVA »

After I turned the computer on this morning, I was a little nervous it wouldn't work again, but it did. Still working as of about an hour ago. I do notice that the USB connector does get a little warm, so I try to not run it for long periods of time.

adafruit_support_mike

Hmm.. when a part gets warm, it's usually a sign that there's a lot of current running through a relatively low resistance.

Check your USB connector for possible shorts, or unexpected low-resistance connections.

DudeFromVA

Post by DudeFromVA »

I am a novice when it comes to the guts of electronics, but I don't mind taking a look. Can you tell me what exactly to look for?

adafruit_support_mike

There's no single answer because there are millions of ways for things to go wrong.

As a rule of thumb, neatness counts. Look for any spots that seem messy, have ugly solder joints, or have two pieces of metal that should be separate suspiciously close to each other. Also check the inside of the housing for any scrape marks that might be a clue of things being pushed together.

If you aren't sure, post a photo and we'll take a look. 800x600 images usually work best.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”