Stepper motor (product ID: 324) accuracy

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
gregf2

Stepper motor (product ID: 324) accuracy

Post by gregf2 »

I have been investigating stepper motors. The subject motor meets my requirements, but unlike the specifications for almost all other motors I've examined, there is no "positional accuracy" stated, or at least I've not found it. Does anyone know the accuracy specifications of this motor, or maybe who manufactures it?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Stepper motor (product ID: 324) accuracy

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The manufacturer does not provide a positional accuracy specification for this motor. http://www.adafruit.com/datasheets/12vstepper.jpg
Realistically, it only tells you the accuracy of the machining and assembly of the rotor and stator teeth. In practice, the positional accuracy is also affected by the drive electronics, step mode and load.

gregf2

Post by gregf2 »

Thanks for the prompt feedback.

I have another question, and I suspect the answer will be almost the same. Can the motor be driven in such a way that it will operate "very quietly"? Assume a load that requires very little torque and and a desired output speed of 10 rev per minute (yes, minute, not second).

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

These are pretty quiet when driven in microstep mode - especially at lower voltages. You get less torque and top speed that way. But it sounds like that will not be a problem for you.

You can further quiet things by isolating the motor from any thing that might resonate. Shock absorbing motor mounts and/or timing belt drive systems work well in many applications.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”