Connecting Stepper motor to Motor Shield

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Phil_Rounds

Connecting Stepper motor to Motor Shield

Post by Phil_Rounds »

I've only found directions for connecting your stepper motor to the motor shield (based on your wire colors. I couldn't find a wiring diagram). I'm connecting a stepper with the following connection diagram:
17YWiring(700x279).png
17YWiring(700x279).png (31.33 KiB) Viewed 191 times
Note: I'm using the leftmost, -LW4 model

Am I right that I connect BLK/ORG (in no particular order) to M3, skip one, then connect RED/YEL to M4?

Thanks in advance,

Phil

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Connecting Stepper motor to Motor Shield

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

connect BLK/ORG (in no particular order) to M3, skip one, then connect RED/YEL to M4?
That is correct.

Phil_Rounds

Post by Phil_Rounds »

Thanks for the quick reply.

When I wired it up and tried to run it, it made a little noise and the power light on the card went out for about 1 sec. I was powering the arduino through the motor shield input ( 12V, 1A), so I removed the jumper, powered the arduino from the pc. Then when I tried to run it, it started a little, then the power light on the card went out.

I can only assume that I'm drawing too much current, and the motor shield is powering down to protect itself.

I'm using the a motor I discussed here before viewtopic.php?f=31&t=63772 (scroll almost to the bottom, then find the highlighted product in the table), and we agreed that it would only draw .85 amps at 12v, so I should be ok, no?

Phil_Rounds

Post by Phil_Rounds »

Never mind, I'm pretty sure that the fact they shipped me a 3V/3A model rather than the 10.2V/.85A model I ordered may go a long way to explaining what I'm seeing.

Thanks

Phil

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

If you measure the resistance of the coils, you can tell which motor the sent. If you are powering with 12v, you want a coil resistance of 10 ohms or more to avoid overloading the shield. To stay under 1A total current draw (for both coils), you need a coil resistance of 24 ohms or more.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”