PowerBoost 500 + Charger Doubt/Problem when fully discharged

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
lasbainas

PowerBoost 500 + Charger Doubt/Problem when fully discharged

Post by lasbainas »

Hello,
I have been using a PowerBoost 500 + Charger with no problem until today. The battery was fully discharged for the first time, and then I plugged in the the USB cable. The leds would then switch very fast and the battery would not be charged, neither the load would be supplied with enough voltage.
I noticed I could solve the problem by connecting the EN pin to ground. The charging starts fine after that.
Is this a normal behaviour? If so, what is the reason for it, and is there any way I can avoid it?
I can give more details on this issued if needed.
Thank you very much!!

adafruit_support_mike

Re: PowerBoost 500 + Charger Doubt/Problem when fully discha

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Fully depleted LiPos have a tendency to plate metallic lithium out of the polymer if you apply full charging current to them. That produces low-resistance paths through the battery which can short and catch fire.

To prevent that, the chip that manages the charging process drops to a low-current preconditioning mode when the LiPo voltage is too low. For the PowerBoost 500C, that's about 20mA.

The boost circuit pulls its supply power from the LiPo charger, so a significant amount of that 20mA gets pulled away from the LiPo and boosted to about 10mA @ 5v, which probably isn't enough to power the load. The LiPo doesn't get enough preconditioning current to bring its voltage up, so the system sits in a "trying to do too much with too little" state until something changes.

Pulling the EN pin low for a few seconds is enough to precondition the LiPo, and allow the charger to kick the current up to the regular charging level.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”