Colossal solar panel

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
kank

Colossal solar panel

Post by kank »

I'm curious about how the solar charge controller sold here does with the colossal panel since the charge controller only handles up to an amp if using the correct resistor. I already have a huge panel and have thought about buying another in the past to get up to 2A from the sun but was unsure if the controller would handle it. I suspect the charge controller will still only supply any connected battery with 1A and dump whatever remaining power into the connected load. What if there isn't a connected load during charge operation though, will the charge controller handle the additional heat well, or is it possible to get more than 1A going into the battery with a different resistance? Is it possible to connect say, 4 panels in parallel for up to 4A (or 6A with the colossal panels) so long as there is a connected load for the controller to dump the additional power to?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Colossal solar panel

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The current draw is determined by the load (combination of the charge current and any attached load). So the excess panel capacity under full-sun will simply not be used. What a larger panel buys you is the ability to draw useful power from the panel in lower light conditions.

chrisinsingapore2011

Post by chrisinsingapore2011 »

I have a similar concern. If the draw is determined by the load (agreed) and the battery is discharged, then it's not going to be the limiting device. The panel is 9W/6W so can deliver 6V/1.5A in full sun. A discharged battery is going to draw at the maximum rate until charged up, so it could be 1.5A for long periods of time. Can the v2 charger really handle the colossal panel? As it says on the description: "Will always draw the most current possible from a solar cell". Is it a matter of dissipating heat from something on the charger?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

A discharged battery is going to draw at the maximum rate until charged up,
The maximum charge rate for the solar charger is 1A. And that is only during the 'fast-charge' phase of the charge cycle.
Will always draw the most current possible from a solar cell". Is it a matter of dissipating heat from something on the charger?
Assuming that there is a load there to draw it. If not, the power is simply unused.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”