Circuit Playground suggested code improvements

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
geoffreyf

Circuit Playground suggested code improvements

Post by geoffreyf »

It seems that the CircuitPlayGround.begin() initializes all IO pins for capsense. I think it would be a good idea for there to be a way to start for just some pins, to be able to free a pin later from capsense and so on.

I think the sound and acceleration sensors will be more effective with an interrupt mode and/or a way of picking up an array of values previously captured. That will work well with an FFT function too. I notice that the acceleration sensor has a temperature sensor? Isn't the regular temp sensor then redundant?

FYI - I have an application in mind. It's to be worn while riding a horse. Measure acceleration while riding and hopefully give the rider some hints about their riding. This may move on to a more sophisticated set up but this is a nice inexpensive way to try that out. Also what I call the 1000lb psyche experiment - do the neopixels freak the horse out or not? Another idea is to make the neopixels move in response to the ride and the dancing of the horse.

I just got the Playground today - it is working great and fun. I did find that one has to wait a bit for the driver to settle down from the initial installation. At least I think that's what happened. After whatever happened, all was great.

Franklin97355

Re: Circuit Playground suggested code improvements

Post by Franklin97355 »

Thanks for the input. The nice thing with open source is the ability to make these changes to the code if you want to improve the function of a device.

geoffreyf

Post by geoffreyf »

What I want here is to discuss alternatives and general purpose interfaces. I am coding for my own purposes using the available open source code. What I seek is to build something that fits with other observations. So - I am seeking discussion, not a lesson in the obvious.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

So - I am seeking discussion, not a lesson in the obvious.
That was not meant to be a lesson. If you want a discussion it would have been helpful to mention that. The forums are here for you, discuss away.

geoffreyf

Post by geoffreyf »

Actually - I don't think that capsense is an issue if someone wants to use the pad for something else. The constructor does not "initialize the pin for cap sense". So, cap sense only happens if that pad is read. The Circuitry does pulse all the pads through a 1 meg ohm resistor but if that pin is wired to some external sensor with a much lower impedance - the 1mohm pulsing should have no effect.

Probing the pads through a high impedance probe - of course the pulses will be seen but if connected to something, the pulses will not be apparent and will not affect regular function. Seems to be the case for me anyway.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”