Solved: USBtinyISP: USB device not recognized on all computers
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Re: Solved: USBtinyISP: USB device not recognized on all com

by austind on Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:44 pm

My issue is identical to this! I took all the exact same steps as you, but I was stopped at the last step. On attempting to install the hotfix from Microsoft, I get the following error:
The update is not applicable on your computer.

I was near certain my computer was the correct type... Maybe I overlooked something?
I did install both of the USBTinyISP drivers, but it always gives the same errors... Again, my issue was exactly the same in every way :?
Were there any specific steps you took to install the hotfix?

Also I'm sorry if this thread is closed, but it's the only one that I found that was exactly the same as mine!
austind

by adafruit_support_bill on Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:42 am

The update is not applicable on your computer.

What kind of processor is in your computer. As explained in the KB entry, the hotfix applies to Intel Atom processors only.
Also, if your system has the latest service pack installed, the hotfix is already in it.
adafruit_support_bill

by XpoZed on Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:26 pm

Had the same issue as the last user described (austind).

My system is Win7 x64, running on i7-4770 with 16 Gigs of RAM.
Microsoft's "hotfix" -wait-for-it- did nothing ("The update is not applicable on your computer.") except frustrating me about the way they send you a badly formatted URL on the email.

After a hour of juicy curses finally found a solution that worked for me.
It turns out that VMWare's "VMware Workstation Server" service is the problem.

By changing its start up mode from "Automatic" to "Manual", and stopping the service, the USB driver is loaded AND USBTinyISP is again working.
So i guess it's some lousy little checkbox somewhere in the VMWare's configuration.

Now, since that might not be the problem with you, try this, as that's the way i found my solution:
1. Restart in Safe Mode
2. Plug the USBTinyISP and install the driver. If everything is OK, your Windows should be able to recognize it (still, you cannot use it under safe mode)
3. Restart normally and open msconfig
4. Under General Tab, chose "Diagnostic startup" click Apply->Ok and restart your machine normally.
5. After loading Windows, connect USBTinyISP and it should be recognized without a problem.
6. If step 5 is working, run services.msc and write down all the services that are currently running (just to have them as reference for later)
7. In msconfig, change back the startup mode from "Diagnostic startup" to "Normal startup" and restart normally
8. Run services.msc again and start stopping the currently running services, by starting with the least important ones (google updaters, printer/scanner related, , etc. c*ap) and skip those you write down at step 6.

Eventually you will pinpoint the bastard screwing your USB devices.

P.S.
I've register on the forums to post (in bad English, but oh well) this solution only, so i hope it help someone.
XpoZed

by thekitty on Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:24 pm

Good work! Yes, I would suppose any other driver that "virtualizes" the hardware USB ports could affect the timings such that it could cause problems with a driver such as USBtiny and others including printers and scanners.
thekitty

by austind on Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:39 am

Thanks guys for the replies also :) However, after I posted this, I got a 2nd Trinket, and it worked no problem! Guess I just got a bad one or something :?
austind

by squirrelslair on Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:08 pm

Same problem: trinket gives error "USB device not recognized." Tried installing drivers downloaded from Adafruit, no luck. Tried hotfix, says not for this version of windows. So, tried boot in safe mode. Same error there as well. In device manager, I had two devices with problems; one the usual USB one, and the other was sxuptp.exe. I uninstalled sxuptp to see if re-detection would fix anything. I now can't open device manager in normal mode, it just gives eternal swirl-circle. sxuptp is no longer visible in safe mode, and re-detect doesn't reinstate it. And, Trinket is still not recognized. Any thoughts?
squirrelslair

by argon99 on Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:07 am

After reading this thread I am so glad I have been using Linux for at least 10 plus years. Good luck.
argon99

by Ragnor on Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:08 pm

I'm having the exact same issue with the 5v Trinket, device not recognized, I tried installing the hotfix as listed but it doesn't install anything.

Ragnor

by austind on Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:16 pm

Mine finally started working one day... I had all the drivers and everything before, but eventually it just started working. You guys with this issue should try using a different USB cable, too. Some don't have data lines, just +/- lines. Getting a nice USB data cable has fixed this issue for some people I've seen.
austind