Windows 7 drivers

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ondrejandrej

Windows 7 drivers

Post by ondrejandrej »

Has anyone got USB Tiny ISP working under Windows 7? I tried http://www.ladyada.net/make/usbtinyisp/drivers.html, but, after directing the Windows installer to the directory with downloaded drivers, I get "driver not found" message.
Thanks for you help.

adafruit

Re: Windows 7 drivers

Post by adafruit »

you may be the first! congrats, we have no idea :D see the vista suggestions, they may apply

ondrejandrej

Post by ondrejandrej »

Do you mean this thread: http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.ph ... sta#p36177 ?
I can't use that solution since I don't get any 2 options to choose from. I only get "Windows could not install USBtiny"

I read the notice to newcomers and it says I should paste the screenshot, so here it is:

I suppose you won't understand the language of my OS, but it does not matter.

This problem is not urgent for me, since I can also boot Ubuntu on my computer, but it should be fixed for the future users anyways.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

yah. well, usbtiny came before windows 7 so microsoft should fix -their- program :D

mike31416

Post by mike31416 »

Is the source code to the driver available?

Is this it usbtiny500 v0.2 src.zip? Found this at the bottom of:

http://www.ladyada.net/make/usbtinyisp/download.html

ondrejandrej

Post by ondrejandrej »

Don't know. I have also found some source code (in C language) at the bottom of
http://www.xs4all.nl/~dicks/avr/usbtiny/

I think driver source code should be available, sice USBtinyISP is a kind of Open Source project.
Actually all the driver is supposed to do is to generate SPI signal, avrdude takes care of the rest.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

the driver is avrdude. really. the 'driver file' is just there to point to avrdude where to look. its libusb which you can google for more information

mike31416

Post by mike31416 »

I installed Windows 7 just to test this but used a spare PC since I am not ready to muck mine up yet ;)

I got the warning indicating that the driver was not signed but was given the option to install it anyway, which I did. The v1.12 driver installed and AVRdude 5.6 worked fine.

I can't read ondrejandrej's screen shot so not sure if its the same issue.

Mike

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

hey fantastic, thanks for posting up!

ondrejandrej

Post by ondrejandrej »

I didn't get any security warning, just the above mentioned message. Do you mean I have to install avrdude before the driver? I will give it a try when I get home.

mike31416

Post by mike31416 »

I don't think the install order matters. When you plugin the usbtiny Windows will prompt for the driver and install it. At that point it does not matter if AVRdude is installed or not.

What does the message say?

ondrejandrej

Post by ondrejandrej »

Windows could not install USBtiny

The driver sofware could not be found.

Daimones

Post by Daimones »

Just want to say, I force installed the driver in windows 7 and it didn't work. I rebooted and held F8 to get to the windows option that allows you to disable driver signing and avrdude seen it. Now after my laptop was off for a day, it doesn't work, tried a few tips for disabling driver signing, neither of those worked either.

I'm going to reboot once more and see if booting with the disable unsigned drivers and see what happens.

EDIT: Yep, works after booting that way, so basically i just need to find a way to permanently allow unsigned drivers to work. However I have tried several ways (that wonderful google searches suggested) and have yet to find a permanent method. I wouldn't mind holding F8 every time I booted if I didn't have to also select windows from grub, then try to hold F8 and hearing 13000 beeps.......

I will keep this post updated with anything i find out.

PS. Thanks ladyada for the great products!

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

sorry about the trouble. we're planning to have a triple-boot machine with vista/win7/xp - for a while we only had to support xp and it was not so bad!

mike31416

Post by mike31416 »

It works for me after power down and reboot. I am running home premium on a Dell D630 and did a clean install. All of the windows updates have not been loaded yet, they are still coming in. I did not disable driver signing using F8. The wonderful world of windows...

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”