Problem with SpokePOV

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jiggajinx13

Problem with SpokePOV

Post by jiggajinx13 »

So i recently purchased the Spoke POV with USB dongle "USBtinyISP" AVR. I followed the instructions on the website and built both the board and dongle.

I have NO idea how to install the driver or which driver to install. i am a student, experimenting with this product at the time.
When I try to press connect, it says "failed to open port" and the "failed to communicate with SpokePOV"
I have tried delaying the communications delay from 100 to 10,000 in increments of 500.
I have a PC, Windows 7 64-bit.
I have looked in the forums and no direct answer has been found.
When I plug in the USBtinyISP, the computer finds it, says it is an unknown device...then i try to install the correct driver and it says "Code 43: Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems"

Can I please get a step-by-step instruction or manual?

adafruit

Re: Problem with SpokePOV

Post by adafruit »

we have step by step instructions for every product on our site. But it sounds like there is something wrong with the usbtinyisp.
without connecting it to the spokepov. does the green LED light up and ask for a driver? did you -ever- install the driver?

jiggajinx13

Post by jiggajinx13 »

I have tried many times to install the driver, and been unsuccessful.
I have Windows 7, Vista, and XP machines.
When I plug in the USBTinyISP Dongle and the Serial Port Dongle, I get the same message "Unknown Hardware Found"
Once I find the actual piece of hardware, I attempt to update the driver, by browsing my computer, and locating the INF file supplied by your website here: http://www.ladyada.net/make/spokepov/download.html

Once I select the INF file, and press OK, I get a message that says "the specified location does not contain information about your hardware"

What shall I do?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

That's odd. I'd expect it to work for at least one of those machines.
Have you tried downloading one of the regular USBtinyISP drivers? There are a couple versions there for different versions of Windows and WinAVR.

http://www.ladyada.net/make/usbtinyisp/download.html

jiggajinx13

Post by jiggajinx13 »

So I tried the v0.1.10 version and it said it successfully installed. So this is great!
Does this driver also work with the Serial Spoke Dongle? I tried it and it hasn't worked yet.

Next issue,
I have the v1.4 spoke pov software.

I still cannot get the computer and the spoke to communicate.
I have tried "testing" and it says "failed to open port". I have tried to increase communication delay and nothing happens.
is the green LED supposed to turn on? it hasn't yet, but my computer does indeed read it.

jiggajinx13

Post by jiggajinx13 »

I also have the Serial SpokePOV Dongle.

But I cannot find the driver for that. Is it still somewhere in the website?
I cannot find it.
Link?

Thanks so much for your help!

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

the serial dongle does not require a driver because it uses the built in COM port
are you using an adapter or not?

jiggajinx13

Post by jiggajinx13 »

I have been using a Serial to USB cable. Are you saying that I should use a plain Serial cord?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Not all USB/Serial converters work as well as a regular COM port. Read this section carefully for details on configuring for serial adapters. http://www.ladyada.net/make/minipov3/software.html

nkaati

Post by nkaati »

I'm having the same issues with it saying:
Unknown Device, Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)
This is on my Windows 7 64 bit computer, I've tried manually install the drivers from the device manager but it is unsuccessful at finding any. Even after pointing it to the drivers from the http://learn.adafruit.com/usbtinyisp/download page

Now on the Window 7 32 bit computer, I plugged it in and it doesn't have the drivers but at least recognizes the device as USBtiny.

The installer_x64.exe also has problems and I get this error:
could not open pipe for writing: errcode 2

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”