Issue with Programmer

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
adafruit_support_bill

Re: Issue with Programmer

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

It sounds like the device you are programming prefers to work at 3.3v. The output of a voltage divider will vary with the load (and the load will vary during different phases of the programming). You may need to use a 3.3v regulator.

qbvbsite

Post by qbvbsite »

Hey,
I looked up the datasheet for my device and it has no problem with 5v (its operates at 1.8-5.5v). I have more then 1 chip and the both have the same behavior. I did another test with the follow results:

- Ran programmed chip at 2.4v (Battery). No problem LED blinked
- Ran programmed chip at 5v (Battery). No problem LED blinked
- Tried to program chip at 2.4v (Battery). No problem chip programmed
- Tried to program chip at 5v (Battery). Problem green LED (on USBTiny) turned off for a brief second when attempted to program
- Tried to program chip at 5v (On Board). Problem green LED (on USBTiny) turned off for a brief second when attempted to program

So to me it seems the programmer it self can't handle 5v when programming? So i don't think its the chip i'm programming (via breadboard) that has the problem its a component in the programmer that must be acting up.

--James

adafruit_support_bill

The USBTiny is a 5v device itself and it is clearly working. The level shifter takes the 5v converts between 5v and whatever the target voltage is. That seems to be working as well.
Your previous test indicates that it is the target device that is not accepting programming at 5v. Check to make sure your circuit does not need more than 100mA.

qbvbsite

Post by qbvbsite »

Hey,
My circuit is just bare-bones.... When programming the chip it's the chip on a empty breadboard with the 6 pin connector connected to the chip. As per the datasheet on the chip its fine with 5v when programming. But for some reason when trying to program it at 5v the USBtiny losses power (hence the green LED turning off). I believe there is a problem with the programmer and not the chip. What the problem is I do not know as its very odd.

--James

adafruit_support_bill

Please look at the schematic. http://www.ladyada.net/images/usbtinyis ... sp2sch.png The 5v VCC cones directly from your USB port. There is nothing but the jumper between that and the ICSP header.

qbvbsite

Post by qbvbsite »

Hey,
I see that but still doesn't explain what is happening to the programmer when I press enter for avrdude to do the programming... When I do the green LED goes off for 1/2 a second and I get the following error message:
avrdude: error: usbtiny_transmit: usb_control_msg: sending control message failed, win error: The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request.

avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override this check.

avrdude: error: usbtiny_transmit: usb_control_msg: sending control message failed, win error: The system cannot find the file specified.

avrdude done. Thank you.
This only happens with 5V and I can't test 3.3v with a regulator because I don't have on on hand to see if the verification issues would go away. When I purchased USBTiny I was under the impression that I can use the on-board power to power my target board. I have seen others with the same setup as mine have no problems doing this with the exact chip I have. So what are my options? I'm i just going to have to program my chips with batteries (which kinda of defeats the purpose of USBTiny IMO)?

--James

qbvbsite

Post by qbvbsite »

Just did another test... when I press enter to program the device at 5v on-board the power to the target board is fine (it stays and 5v) but the power to the green LED goes from 1.8v to 0.0v. So the power to the target board is fine but something is happening to the power of the green LED which is cause the programmer not to work.

adafruit_support_bill

The only thing you are changing here is how you are powering the target. The power to the programmer is always 5v.
What happens if you remove the power jumper and power the target processor with a separate 5v supply?

qbvbsite

Post by qbvbsite »

Hey,
This was the result as stated a few posts back:
- Tried to program chip at 5v (Battery). Problem green LED (on USBTiny) turned off for a brief second when attempted to program
Its the same regardless if I use usbTiny power or battery power at 5v. I know its not the chip i'm programming as per its datasheet (atmega328p), so the problem must be in the programmer.

--James

adafruit_support_bill

I know its not the chip i'm programming as per its datasheet
Remember, all the chips on the USBTinyISP have datasheets too :wink:

Post a photo showing the device and how you have it hooked up.

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

In your picture, it looks like you have a cap soldered into the "self-pgm" jumper holes. That jumper should be left open. Also, C1 is not installed. It appears that you installed C1 in the wrong place.

qbvbsite

Post by qbvbsite »

Hey,

Looks like your right driver... How did I manage that lol. When I get home I'll fix this up and hopefully this will fix it.

--James

qbvbsite

Post by qbvbsite »

Hey,
Thanks sooo much driverblock it works perfectly now... and actually make sense why I was seeing those verification issues.

--James

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”