USBtiny and Windows 8.1 Drivers (Lib USB 1.2.6.0)

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Justblair

USBtiny and Windows 8.1 Drivers (Lib USB 1.2.6.0)

Post by Justblair »

I updated my Windows 8 equipped laptop to Windows 8.1 beta. Unfortunately this broke the drivers that had been working fine under Windows 8. Attempting to reinstall the 1.2.1.0 Drivers that Mightyohm created resulted in an "attempt to load a program with incorrect format windows" error.

I managed to solve this by creating new libusb drivers...

More details on my website http://www.justblair.co.uk/Personal/win ... nyisp.html

They are crude, but perhaps with some feedback I can package them a little better.

Interested to know if they work without disabling signature enforcement and also if the installer works

cameraready

Re: USBtiny and Windows 8.1 Drivers (Lib USB 1.2.6.0)

Post by cameraready »

Thanks for posting the updated drivers. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get them to work yet. I'm trying to use a Surface Pro upgraded to Windows 8.1 with my Gemma. My problem may not be the driver. I'm getting an error that says the device descriptor request failed. I need to see if I can find another USB cable. It's working on my other computers but this computer may be different. I restarted to allow the unsigned drivers but can't seem to get beyond the initial error. When I first plugged it in I didn't get the option to look for drivers on the computer. I first tried the 1.2.1 drivers from the tutorial but got the same error. Then I tried the 1.2.6 drivers.

Anyone have suggestions?
Attachments
USB error
USB error
USBTiny_driver.jpg (37.78 KiB) Viewed 6620 times

cameraready

Post by cameraready »

I made a few more attempts tonight and still couldn't get Windows 8.1 to recognize my Gemma. I think it might be a USB 3.0 issue. This computer only has one USB port so I tested everything I could get my hands on. I tried 3 different USB cables, 3 different USB hubs and finally booting in safe mode. The closest I came was using safe mode. I connected the gemma directly to the USB port and it showed up as a trinket in device manager. But when I tried to update the driver to use the libUSB driver Windows prevented it because they were unsigned. :x

I'm debating whether I should try to roll back to Win 8. Not sure if I want to spend the time.

cameraready

Post by cameraready »

After getting the Gemma recognized in safe mode I rebooted with the advanced options and picked mode 7 to allow installing unsigned drivers. Then I went back to device manager and checked the show hidden devices option. I could see the trinket under the other devices so I selected it and updated the driver (while the Gemma was not connected). The next time I rebooted in safe mode and plugged it in it detected the libUSB drivers and used them. Unfortunately once I opened the Arduino IDE I still got the avrdude error could not find USBTiny device. :( Either way once I boot in a normal mode I get the Device Descriptor error.

cameraready

Post by cameraready »

I didn't have time to experiment much over the holiday. I've got another computer to try that has the same USB 3.0 hardware but is running Win 7 x64. I suspect the issue is more of a USB 3.0 problem and less of a windows driver issue. At least in my case. The Surface Pro I was using only has one USB port so I couldn't try another port. USB 2.0 seems to be more compatible. If your computer has USB 2.0 ports I would try that first.

cameraready

Post by cameraready »

I finally found a combination that appeared to work reliably. The downside was that the cost seemed a bit excessive for most projects. What I used was a Plugable UD-3000 USB 3.0 docking station. The USB 3.0 ports on the docking station had the same issues as the built in USB port on the Surface but the USB 2.0 ports allowed the Trinket to be recognized properly. Once device manager detected the libUSB device it used the correct driver. I ran a few tests on the Arduino IDE with a simple blink sketch and everything worked fine. :D

Too bad I had to give the give the Surface to another user at the office. It compiled faster than my old netbook.

I guess if I run into the same problem again I would look for a USB hub that supports 3.0 and 2.0 speeds.

phoenixperry

Post by phoenixperry »

This is broken again. I tried to run it on the latest, most up to date, version of windows (8.1) and no dice. The cmd prompt flashes up so quickly I can't read it and trinket loads up as an unrecognized USB device. I've tried the following after I diabled the windows unsigned driver stuff in the advanced startup settings
1. Running as Admin
2. Dragging the files into the right spot for my CPU
3. Trying the 32 bit driver
4. using a hub for USB 2 (i have a USB 2 port but since it was listed, I gave it a shot)
6. I searched and found the 8.1 drivers on github and redid the above process with will no luck

Thoughts? Anyone else? I tried forcing cmd to stay open using /K and running via the run popup and the thing just flashes and clears - I've never seen that happen before. That should of at least kept my prompt open for debuging.

The best I get is that my USB device (not the hub the gemma) is malfunctioning. I get it if I run through my hub or natively in my USB2 port.
Thoughts? Anyone else have this? I want to teach this in Jan but I have to working on win and mac.

phoenixperry

Post by phoenixperry »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gna27sxbegn8ehs/gemma.PNG

This is the error. It's worth nothing I have isolated it down to windows as the gemma works great on a mac.

best,
phoenix

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

This is broken again.
It is not clear exectly what you are referring to since this is your first post under this user name. Is this a Trinket, or a Gemma? Was it working before? What changed, the upgrade to 8.1?

I don't have a WIn8 machine, but I have seen the equivalent message on Win7. The device only emulates a USBTiny while the bootloader is running and Device Manager gets confused when it stops. If you press the reset button, the red led should start "throbbing" for about 10 seconds while the bootloader is active. Does the USBTiny device show up then?

phoenixperry

Post by phoenixperry »

This is a gemma. I don't have a trinket but I do have a flora with the same problems as listed below. Yep I noticed device manager doing that while debugging. I've spent almost a whole day on this one. Here's my blow by blow. I also did exactly what you just suggested. The error message occured. Here it is:
Binary sketch size: 832 bytes (of a 5,310 byte maximum)

avrdude: error: usbtiny_transmit: usb_control_msg: sending control message failed, win error: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

avrdude: error: usbtiny_transmit: usb_control_msg: sending control message failed, win error: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

Blow by blow
Ok i'm pretty sure I have this isolated down to a USB issue by testing and succeeding on a mac with this same USB cable and Gemma. I got the drivers to install by going to
Device Manger > View > Show hidden devices
The trinket pop up then under Other devices
I then directed it to the USBTiny ISP fix mentioned above that now lives here:
https://github.com/Justblair/USBTinyISP_1.2.6.0
make sure to get the 64bit one if you have 64 bit. It matters.

That totally worked. I have a libusb-win32 devices drop down how has a usbtiny Device. Make sure to set your bootloader by clicking the gemma reset button

tried to install adafruit arduino - failed.

install regular old arduino

followed your hardway guide.
when I got to the step about updating the ID file it crashed my system.
trying to move the old ID to desktop and drag the new one in to the
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr\avr\bin.
location with the USB gemma cable unplugged from my laptop. Worked

opened arudino
Success- everything is where it should be in tools - now on to coding and seeing if it will build.

nope. Red errors all up and down the console.

Tinyusb not recognizing
reintalling from device manager. Clicked on greyed out tinyusb and uninstalled.Reintalled by showing invisible devices and pointing windows the to 64-bit version of the driver

It goes black again showing installed

back to arduino

this check.

Reset the bootloader and got
the following arduino error
avrdude: Error: Could not find USBtiny device (0x1781/0xc9f)

Reattached the Plugable USB 2 hub I have
this error was received

this check.

Again reset bootloader and got this:
avrdude: Error: Could not find USBtiny device (0x1781/0xc9f)

It's just not going to work and I'm a stubborn SOB. Thoughts? At this point I'm dead. AVR is in and good. It doesn't see the TinyUSB though either. I kept going in hopes I was missing something completely obvious. I wasn't. The gemma just might not work with the new PC haswell laptops until this issue is solved. As far as I know, they almost all sport USB 3 ports, including the new surface. Everyday this will grow as a problem for folks with the new machines. Might be worth investigating.Thoughts? I had serious hopes to use this in my class in Jan b/c it's so simple and beginner friendly. I can't imagine putting a newbie through this.

adafruit_support_bill

tried to install adafruit arduino - failed.
Do you mean that the install failed? Or did it just fail to connect to the Trinket?

It sounds like you have tried most of the standard tricks. I'll see if I can track down a WIn 8.1 machine for testing.

phoenixperry

Post by phoenixperry »

I mean that the downloadble adafruit version of Arduino for gemma/flora doesn't work on my version of windows 8.1 as well as tinyUSB not working. Arduino works just fine if you go about it the long way though, even though it still has the same tinyUSB problem. Make sense? I'd appreciate more answers. I want to teach gemma.
best,
phoenix

phoenixperry

Post by phoenixperry »

Not that it would be any better to test it off my system but I am in soho and on my way to NYU Poly from NYU Itp I can stop by / meet you at a cafe and show you what's up. I have everything on me today b/c I am trying to prototype the design for that class.
best,
nix

adafruit_support_bill

Unfortunately, I'm working remotely and nowhere near New York. But it looks like we should have a Win8.1 system to test with soon.

phoenixperry

Post by phoenixperry »

Cool keep me posted!
phoenix

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”