Windows 7: Could not find USTtiny device

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
K9VB

Windows 7: Could not find USTtiny device

Post by K9VB »

Hi

I bought the USBTinyISP kit fron Adafruit and assembled it.

The problems is that when I connect the USBTiny, the green light shows but avrdude gives me the 'Ccould not find USBTiny device (0x1781/0xc9f)’ message:

I am using Windows 7 on a Gateway Desktop but have the same issues when I use a Dell Laptop with Windows 7. This has happened every time on both machines. I was not sure if I had installed the drivers correctly but from device manager I see Driver Version 01.12.1. There is a warning about the driver being unsigned but I wouldn’t expect that to be a problem.

I have re-installed the software, re-booted and it has never worked. I have not yet got to the point of connecting a microprocessor but my intention is to use an ATmega168 and downloaded software.

I have not installed R4 or R7 yet as I am not sure if I will need them or jumpers, but that should not affect the initial test without a controller connected.

I am posting pictures of the device. Any suggestions?

Thanks
USBTiny Front.jpg
USBTiny Front.jpg (937.46 KiB) Viewed 858 times
USBtiny (back).jpg
USBtiny (back).jpg (997.65 KiB) Viewed 858 times
Tim

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Windows 7: Could not find USTtiny device

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Does anything show up in Device Manager when you plug it in?

K9VB

Post by K9VB »

Thanks for the quick reply

Yes, an icon for USBtiny shows up in device manager with a warning sign. Looking at Properties it tells me that 'Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source. (Code 52)'. It also shows installed drivers are version 0.1.12.1 (3/20/07).

Tim

phild13

Post by phild13 »

Under windows 7 my driver file for the usbtinyisp shows as:

Provider: libusb-win32
Date: 7/29/2010
Version: 1.2.1.0
Not signed
Device: UsbTiny

The device is under the libusb-win32 device tab in the device manager.

The windows 7 64 bit link is the link I used. You might try uninstalling the driver you have and installing the driver from the link below and see it it works.
http://learn.adafruit.com/system/assets ... .2.1.0.zip

You have to accept the error that it is not signed by clicking the "install anyway" button.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I agree with PhilD13. uninstall and re-install. When it complains, install anyway. You probably need to run as administrator to do that.

K9VB

Post by K9VB »

Thanks both, avrdude can now talk to the programmer.I had trouble installing the drivers that PhilD13 pointed to (mainly I suspect because I did not know how to install drivers manually) but following the instructions at Sourceforge for libusb0 I was able to get the latest drivers installed and it is working fine.

Now to see if I can get it to work programming a chip.

Tim

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”