getting message rc=-1

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
batmatt08

getting message rc=-1

Post by batmatt08 »

i recently purchased a usbtinyisp (v2.0) kit . and installed all components right , i get the green Led on for power , i'm trying to burn a new program on atmega m328p . checked all my wiring more the 10 times . i also get 5.0vts from the programmer no matter if i use the jumper or not i still get 5.0vts on the 6 pin cable output . this is one of the problems . when i use the avrdude to write the program into the chip i get initialization failed rc=-1 check your connections and try again , i did more them 10 times . i got all the pins right pin 1 trough pin 6 . i tried the -B but can't detect the chip . i think i got a defective product , please if anybody have any thoughts please let me know . thx

oc65

Re: getting message rc=-1

Post by oc65 »

I got my kit about a week ago and avrdude gave me the same message. Wiring of the target board was ok.

It turned out that I misinterpreted the soldering instructions - once I bridged ("jumped") R4 and R7, things worked beautifully. :D

What also helped was the book "Make: AVR Programming: Learning to Write Software for Hardware". Your library likely has it as an ebook.

batmatt08

Post by batmatt08 »

oc65 wrote:I got my kit about a week ago and avrdude gave me the same message. Wiring of the target board was ok.

It turned out that I misinterpreted the soldering instructions - once I bridged ("jumped") R4 and R7, things worked beautifully. :D

What also helped was the book "Make: AVR Programming: Learning to Write Software for Hardware". Your library likely has it as an ebook.

hi thanks for the reply , let me ask you did you remove the resistors R4 and R7 because i jumped them without remove and did not work.
???

batmatt08

Post by batmatt08 »

can you help me with this issue ? i got the right driver for my avr programmer , also no matter what i do , i continue to get the 5.0vts through the isp cable even when i remove the jumper for external power source .is my programmer defective?? or what ?

phild13

Post by phild13 »

If you are using the UsbtinyISP with a SpokePOV kit, then install R4 and R7.

If you are not using the UsbtinyISP with a SpokePOV kit then REMOVE and REPLACE R4 and R7 with a jumpers.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

If jumpering the resistors does not work post some large (800x600) clear photos of both sides of the board.

Pikachu

Post by Pikachu »

Mine was fine a while ago but now does not work when burning a bootloader.

It says the same thing. All of my soldering connections are good.
And I also did the jumpers.

Pikachu

Post by Pikachu »

Now mine works.

*Price is Right losing bell*

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”