problems with usbtiny 2.0 from a kit.

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
batmatt08

problems with usbtiny 2.0 from a kit.

Post by batmatt08 »

i got the avr programmer usbtiny 2.0 , i also use windows 7 -64 bit , i got the right driver for the usbtiny .i can't get the device to detect my chip which is the atmegam328p-pu . it says initialization failed rc=-1 check your connections and try again , i spent 12 hours already and i know i got the right wiring into my target . i also jumped the R4 and R7 resistors suggested by adafruit , no success !!!!! i noticed that i get 5.0vts trough the isp cable no matter what i do. if i remove the jumper and still have voltage anyway . i dont know what else to do ??? can some one help me on this matter?? i appreciate. thanks

adafruit_support_rick

Re: problems with usbtiny 2.0 from a kit.

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Have you got a crystal or other external oscillator on your target?

batmatt08

Post by batmatt08 »

Hi. Thx for replying to me. The atmegam328p already has a crystal built in so is no need for it. My biggest question will be . I'm getting 5,0vts on the isp cable with out the jumper. Is that right? Or could be a drive problem I did get the 1.2 drive for windows 64 bit . Or could be the buffer chip that has a problem? Thx

phild13

Post by phild13 »

If the chip is a new blank one, then yes it by default uses the internal 8Mhz oscillator and you don't need an external crystal or oscillator to program it. If the chip was bought from Adafruit (it has a Arduino bootloader preinstalled on it) or if it otherwise has a bootloader installed then you will need a 16Mhz crystal or oscillator to program it. If it is is pre-programmed for a specific task such as a clock etc, then you will probably also need to program the chip either in circuit or use the appropriate crystal/oscillator to program it out of circuit.

Tip:
I have found that you should connect the chip to the USBTinyIsp first then connect the USBTinyisp usb cable to the computers usb port. Then the computer will recognize the programmer and the chip connected to it. If you leave the USBTinyisp plugged in to the computer or leave the usb cable plugged into the computer (though it is not plugged into the USBTinyisp), then the connection will not always work and the chip will not be recognized.

batmatt08

Post by batmatt08 »

Ok yes. You are right it is bootloaded for arduino . But can you explain why I still get 5. 0 vcs without the jumper?

phild13

Post by phild13 »

What is the isp cable plugged in to? The USBTinyIsp is designed to be powered by the circuit it is connected to or, if desired, by the USB port on the computer.

If the jumper is not installed, and the cables are not connected to anything, then Rick will probably suggest posting clear photos of the front and back of the USBTinyIsp.

batmatt08

Post by batmatt08 »

hey thx for the input. i know that the usbtiny is designed to power the chip . the cable is plugged into the programmer and the programmer is plugged into the usb port on my computer but without the jumper i should not get any voltage, so i can use a different power source and i still getting 5.0 vts without it .... i want to know if its normal or not.. could be a software problem or the buffer chip on the programmer is bad ....but saying that i did nothing wrong , i do plc programming on machines and is very similar .... can you think in anything? thanks

phild13

Post by phild13 »

Sorry. The jumper basically connects the 5 volts from the USB port to pin 20 and pin 1 (through R10) of IC1 and to pin 14 of IC2, and pin 2 of both cables.

With the jumper installed you will have 5vdc on cable pin 2 to ground (pin 6 on small cable) on the cables and without the jumper installed you will not have 5 volts.

Verify you have the IC's installed correctly, soldered well, no solder bridges, and check the other components for correct orientation also.

I would remove R4 and R7 leaving only the jumpers unless your planning on using it for the SpokePOV.

batmatt08

Post by batmatt08 »

Hi Phil , thanks for the huge help that you are providing i really appreciate . ok now we got to the point that i had THE question. without the jumper i still have 5.0 vts i did check the soldering and orientation of everything and is ok . no bridged soldering nothing. i only think that my programmer chip is damaged .and i also jumped R4 and R7 . thx i hope to get all the answers with you . also if you don't mind i could send pics to you of my programmer so you can take a look. thx again

adafruit_support_rick

Please post clear, detailed pictures of both sides of the USBtinyISP.

Also, make sure that you have the correct orientation of the 6-pin cable.

batmatt08

Post by batmatt08 »

How do I post pictures I tried. But won't let me . Thx

adafruit_support_rick

Below the window for posting a reply you'll see an "Upload attachment" tab. Click that, and then click "Choose File". Select the picture you want to upload, then click "Add the file".

Pictures should be either JPEG or PNG, and should be less than 1MB in size.

batmatt08

Post by batmatt08 »

Here is the picture from the usbtiny. Front.
Attachments
Front.usbtiny.
Front.usbtiny.
3661-1.jpg (376.09 KiB) Viewed 666 times

batmatt08

Post by batmatt08 »

And here is the back side.
Attachments
Back. Of usbtiny
Back. Of usbtiny
3662-2.jpg (631.24 KiB) Viewed 666 times

adafruit_support_rick

Let's start by redoing some of those solders. It looks like the solder hasn't really flowed across the pads on the ones I've circled:
USBtiny_solders.png
USBtiny_solders.png (385.68 KiB) Viewed 662 times

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”