USBtinyISP and windows issues... programmer disconnects

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
josejose

USBtinyISP and windows issues... programmer disconnects

Post by josejose »

I recently got my USBtinyISP programmer working and am having an issue that my friends have also confirmed!

After one or two times programming my Atmega1280 the USBtinyISP programmer is no longer recognized and shoots back the message:

"avrdude: error: could not find USBtiny device <0x1781/0xc9f>"

this has been happening to a few of my classmates and we have not been able to fix the problem.!!!

After unplugging the USB device and plugging it back in... all goes to normal.
It is a bit annoying to have to unplug the programmer all the time... does anyone have similar issues with Windows XP and this programmer??? and does anyone have any fixes...???

Jose

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

did you buy a kit or did you build it yourself?

josejose

Post by josejose »

I bought the kit from adafruit.

The programmer works perfectly as specified and I am using the v1.10 driver because I am using the newest WinAVR release (12-21-07).

I've used this programmer for many months now ... always with the having to unplug and replug problem.

Any ideas?

Jose

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

can you read the part number on the diodes? it could b e you got one of the older kits with 3.3v zener diodes instead of 3.6v as thats what is shipped now and seems to have way fewer problems

josejose

Post by josejose »

The only thing I can see on the diodes near the USB plug is the number "22"... as I already have my parts soldered the numbers i think may be up agains the PCB board...

does the number "22" indicate any voltage value?

Thanks for your quick reply.

Jose

p.s. When I have my programmer plugged into the USB port on my computer... I have a voltage drop across D2 of 2.32V and D1 has 0.0V.

I have my circuit powered from the wall and I am not using the USB power to power my circuit.

Thanks for any help.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

no i need the digits after that, should be either "227B" or "226B" you can only really tell by reading the number from the diode

josejose

Post by josejose »

Unfortunately until I can get my hands on a soldering iron i won't be able to tell what diode I have in there...

i can only read the "22" on one fo the diodes.

If it helps at all.. I bought the programmer in September of last year.. so it is pretty recent.

Jose

xzolian

Post by xzolian »

ladyada wrote:no i need the digits after that, should be either "227B" or "226B" you can only really tell by reading the number from the diode
I have 226B and I also have the same problem as Jose ( as reported in this post http://www.ladyada.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4102 ).

What value should the diode be, 226B or 227B?

Thanks,

Matt

p.s. I have v1.0

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

yah you should get 227B's
if you bought a kit you can email support@adafruit and ill send you replacements in a letter.

josejose

Post by josejose »

Ladyada,

I went ahead and submitted an email to [email protected] reporting the problem. I'm hoping that you can send me a couple of the 227B diodes. I'd really love to stick with my USBtiny programmer and not have to get another one!

thanks

Jose

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”