tinyISP stopped working

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Bitty

tinyISP stopped working

Post by Bitty »

I built it a week ago, and set the fuses and dumped the Decimilia bootloader to a couple ATmega168 chips so far to make sure it was working. I plugged it in today to do it on a new one and I get the dreaded "avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51" on everything I attach it to. The pin 13 led flashes once along with the red one on the tiny when I run "avrdude -c usbtiny -p m168". Any suggestions?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

did you try more than one chip?

Bitty

Post by Bitty »

Whoops, sorry, forgot to mention that.

Yes. :P

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

so you get a successful programming of the chip but then when you put it in an arduino it doesnt work? are you using avrdude? can you post the output that avrdude spits when it programs the chip?

Bitty

Post by Bitty »

No, it won't program the chip at all. avrdude only gives that error, nothing else. I tried it on a breadboard like I've been doing, then I tried it plugging it into my Arduino. Same results. It just won't recognize the fact that it's connected to a chip.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

*which* error? post a screenshot

Bitty

Post by Bitty »

Sorry, I pasted the wrong error in my original post. I suppose I should lay off the scotch when I'm troubleshooting... :P

It does this on known good chips as well as brand spanking new untested ones.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

this is plugged into an arduino?
how are you powering it, etc?

nutt318

Post by nutt318 »

I just posted this:

http://www.ladyada.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5057

Sounds like same issue but im not sure, but im having the same issue.

Bitty

Post by Bitty »

I've tried it both plugged into an Arduino and a breadboard. I was having success with both last week.

I tried powering things both ways. With the JP3 jumper off, the Arduino was powered off a 9 volt battery, and I was powering the breadboard off a bench supply at 5 volts. With the jumper on, no external power was supplied to either board.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

hmm you could open it up and look, but im not sure what could happen that would suddenly make it 'stop'
if you had a scope that would be handy :)

Bitty

Post by Bitty »

I tried it again this morning after rebuilding my computer (when power supplies smoke and pop, no good can come from it), and the programmer is working now. I'm fairly certain I know where the blame lies for the problem at this point.

It looks like I got a couple bricked ATMega168s out of the deal too. :roll: Good thing they're relatively cheap.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

!!! :(

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”