The programmer is not detected by the computer

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
planteg

The programmer is not detected by the computer

Post by planteg »

Hi,

Product: USBTinyProgrammer V2 bought as a kit
IDE: Arduino 1.0.5
Board: SparkFun Micro Pro 3.3 V

I am been getting acquainted with the USBTinyISP programmer V2. Fisrt I had issues installing the driver. I downloaded the 32-bit for 64-bit (V 1.2.1.0). In the directory, there is a file called installer_x64.exe, but that doesn't work. Secod I right-clicked the .INF filed and picked install, but was told that the file does not support this way of installing. Then I plugged int the programmer, Windows could not install the driver, and then I manually updated the driver by pointing to the directory where the .INF file is. It finally worked.

Thing is suddenly Windows does not detect the programmer. The device manager showed the driver with an exclamation mark, so I uni stalled the driver. I even rebooted the computer. Now when I plug in the programmer, Windows does not 'see' it and does not try to install the driver :shock: .

How can I install the driver with success and without fumbling ?

Thankls

AnneBarela
Learn User Page

Re: The programmer is not detected by the computer

Post by AnneBarela »

There is a beta driver in the Trinket forum that also applies to USBtinyISP. The installer may not work in that one but installing via control panel has been successful for many.

planteg

Post by planteg »

Hi,

finally this morning when I plugged int the programmer, Windows 'seen' it and the driver was loaded automatically. Windows is a pain when working with these kind of drivers. I needed to turn off the computer for Windows to work with the programmer, a warm boot was not enough.

If I still have issues with the driver, I will give a try to the beta one.

Thanks

planteg

Post by planteg »

Well,

there is something new. I today to burn the bootloader and got that message in the IDE:

avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x3f800
0x11 != 0xff
avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

If I try another board, the same message is displayed, but for a different address. Strangely, the value to the right of = 0xff again. Looks like the programmer is not able to read from the bootloader section. Could it be a firmware issue with the programmer ?

Thanks

planteg

Post by planteg »

Hi TheKitty,

do you have an answer to my latest question ?

Thanks

AnneBarela
Learn User Page

Post by AnneBarela »

Try a USB2 port?

planteg

Post by planteg »

I tried on a USB2 port, same issue. This morning I read this on the SpakFun page for their AVR Pocket Programmer in the Comments section:
Adafruit’s AVR (aka Limor Fried’s other USBtinyISP AVR) can’t write to an Atmega 1280/1281/2560/2561. Does anyone know if this one does?

Answer from M-SHort

Basically this is just a clone of their programmer so it would have the same issue with the larger memory devices. That being said, I’ve successfully loaded the bootloader on an Arduino Mega2560 which uses the 2560 so results are a bit spotty on those chips.
Well, the SparkFun board I want to burn the bottloader to contains a 2560... What about that issue with the 2560 ?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”