TinyUSB 2.0 with Capacitor Positioning Problem

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mchicago

Post by mchicago »

Hi, I recently bought the SpokePOV and USBTinyISP, but have noticed a problem. Before my soldering iron melted and left me with a half-built spokepov, I built the USBTinyISP.

What I noticed was that there has been very little space left for this capacitor - it seems that it should be placed end-on, but when I do this, it seems to block the closing of the lid. If you solder it on before the chip holder, I think you would have problems placing the chip holder (especially if you've clipped the feet of the capacitor at this point in time).

Have I done something wrong or is this a slight design ... feature?

mchicago

Post by mchicago »

And I so made this post in the wrong place... Sorry!

Frank843

Post by Frank843 »

mchicago,
I ran into the same problem with V2.0 of the USBTinyISP.

I installed the capacitor first and cut the leads pretty short.
And then, when I went to install my buffer chip, I had a hard time getting it to fit.

I ended up cramming the pieces together and partially damaging the exterieor of my capacitor, but I believe everything is functioning correctly (I have not had the chance to fully test it yet).

Since there were no instructions for V2.0, it made the final part installation difficult.

If I were to do it again, I would probably install the buffer chip first and leave long leads on the capacitor and bend it over on its side (I think you can do this, but I haven't tired it). Or, at least lean it away from the buffer chip.

mchicago

Post by mchicago »

Yes, I believe you could, but you have to be careful because the LED is sitting next to it, and you have to have that going straight up to match the hole in the case.

As I had left a bit of length on the Capacitor (I added this as nearly the last component, and could see that it was going to be longer then the LED's and had to move it) I ended up bending it around and it sort of leans across the chip now.

When I built mine, I didn't leave *enough* length on the LED's for them to poke into the holes enough, (they come slightly short). But hey, it all looks "ok" in the end.

Frank843

Post by Frank843 »

mchicago,
This problem is a known problem, the documentation should be changed.

http://www.ladyada.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5077

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”