Looking to have LED Strip respond to alert from a PC.

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
seymore76

Looking to have LED Strip respond to alert from a PC.

Post by seymore76 »

I am looking to have an LED strip respond to some type of alert from a pc. The alert could be nothing more than a sound coming from a critical notification. Is there any way to make this work. I am looking at the USBtinyISP and wondering if I could accomplish this with it.

Sey

burpees_NH

Re: Looking to have LED Strip respond to alert from a PC.

Post by burpees_NH »

Take a look at the Arduino, not the USBtinyISP.

1) There are tutorials here for the Arduino lighting up a USB strip.
2) Once you accomplish that, look at the tutorials for "pyserial" and arduino + PC.
This is the part which will let you send a "message" to the Arduino to "do something" (try just an LED blink at first, keep it simple).
example ttorial: http://makezine.com/projects/arduino-an ... ogramming/
3) Once you have the arduino able to respond to message events from your host computer, combine the sketch with step #1...

I'm assuming that by "alert" you mean, "a message or stimulus from the computer", and the simplest thing is pyserial.

If by "alert" you meant "OS level alert" (OS popup) -- that adds yet another layer of complexity for you to figure out. Presumably a custom OS alert could be told to execute some Python script (pyserial end) but I know nothing about that.

This thread should probably be moved by a moderator as it's not really USBtinyISP related.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”