Won't let me use AVRDUDE as interface to adafruit chip

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Cyber175

Won't let me use AVRDUDE as interface to adafruit chip

Post by Cyber175 »

Order #480908

Purchased 4 AVR chips. Cannot get the following to work:

avrdude -c usbtiny -p m328p

Works fine with m328p included with barebones AVR dev board. All 4 chips you loaded with your bootloader will not communicate like stock m328p like in barebones board. Probably some CLI parameter I don't know about yet. Would like to be able to get control of the 4 AVR chips purchased from you. Help!

There is not a problem with my usbtiny. I have verified that on another usbtiny at work.

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Won't let me use AVRDUDE as interface to adafruit chip

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Have you configured the chips with an external clock source? I believe the stock Atmel-supplied chip are configured for an internal oscillator. Our chips are configured for an external crystal oscillator.

Cyber175

Post by Cyber175 »

So I saw that crystal mentioned in the assembly instructions for the bare bones target board, but no such thing was included in the kit. My assumption was that since you did not include it, it was not required. Not having a crystal would explain this problem. Now the problem becomes, of course, finding a crystal. I live in Eastern Washington out in the middle of no where, so you will have to send me one. Please let me know how much I owe you. You might also update the relevant documentation and/or include a crystal with the bare bones thing. Others will have this problem, too. Please advise. You can send me the appropriate crystal to my PO Box in an envelope. Thanks for your assistance as usual.

Incidentally, how do I change the chips I have back to the original non-crystal boot loader. Having to have a crystal just seems to increases the potential project parts count. Thanks again.

adafruit_support_rick

Well, here's the problem - we don't stock crystals.
Do you have an Arduino Uno? If so, you can re-enable the internal oscillator on the chips by plugging them into the Uno and using the USBtinyISP.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

Thats right, preprogrammed arduino chips are to be used in arduinos and they require an external oscillator. we'll look into adding oscillators to the shop in the next few days.
in the meantime, here are supplier links!
http://www.ladyada.net/wiki/partfinder/crystals
the chip that comes with the avr kit uses the internal oscillator by default.

adafruit_support_rick

Also note, you'll need a couple of capacitors to go with the crystal. The Atmel data sheet recommends choosing from a range of 12 to 22pF. Both caps must have the same value.
See section 9.3 of the ATmega328 data sheet

AnneBarela
Learn User Page

Post by AnneBarela »

As of today Adafruit stocks resonators which are the crystals and caps in one package.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”