About ATMega16

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
wireframewolf

About ATMega16

Post by wireframewolf »

Hey all. I'd like to give direct AVR programming a shot, and there's a project using the ATMega16 that I'd like to try, but the schematic shows it attached to a JTAG ICE connector, where the USBTiny doesn't support it.

However, from what I gather, JTAG ICE is just the protocol/hardware for in circuit debugging right? So the ten pin connector on the USBtiny should be able to program the chip just fine?

I would just like some confirmation of this before I purchase, and if JTAG ICE isn't what I think it is, then what is it?

Hazard

Re: About ATMega16

Post by Hazard »

wireframewolf wrote:(...) JTAG ICE connector, where the USBTiny doesn't support it.
Yep, you're right, It doesn't.
wireframewolf wrote: However, from what I gather, JTAG ICE is just the protocol/hardware for in circuit debugging right? So the ten pin connector on the USBtiny should be able to program the chip just fine?
You were right the first time, it uses special hardware inside the micro. So the JTAG pins won't work with the USBtiny.
But you can use the USBtiny to program using the ISP pins!
Watch out!! Here in the schematic I used a library part from someone, who misplaced the ISP connector signals!
And me, using a ISP programmer (as the USBtinyISP) with a atmega16!

wireframewolf

Post by wireframewolf »

Ah. I see how it works now. Thank you very much for you help. You, sir, are wickedly excellent. :)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”