Setting up with the arduino-IDE

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Lillamymien

Setting up with the arduino-IDE

Post by Lillamymien »

Hi, When It says:

"
Step 2. Updating avrdude.conf

The second step is to update the AVR chip program upload helper to be a little more patient with the ATtiny85 bootloader we have on the Trinket. We will update the description of the chip's erase cycle to be longer, to avoid timeouts and errors.

Windows users can download the new avrdude.conf by clicking this button:
avrdude.conf for Windows
Mac users should download this version and uncompress it
avrdude.conf for Mac
On Linux download this version of the file:
avrdude.conf for Linux
Now we will hunt for the original avrdude.conf file. If you are using a Mac, right-click on the Arduino application icon and select “Show Package Contents” then navigate through the Contents & Java folders. On Windows you will have to find the installation directory, which may be a folder on the Desktop or possibly in C:\Program Files if you used the installer. Likewise in Linux it is where-ever you uncompressed the folder.

Now find the hardware\tools\avr\etc folder, and inside you should see the avrdude.conf file. You can also use your operating system's find tool to locate it.
adafruit_products_arduinoavrdude.gif
Rename the old avrdude.conf to avrdude.bak and copy over the new avrdude.conf to the same folder
adafruit_products_newconfi.gif
Be sure you rename the old file before replacing it with the new one so you are sure to make the swap!"

Shall I copy the original file, rename the old one and keep the original copy and the arvude.bak file (The old original arvude.conf) or how should I do it?

"Step 3. Update 'ld' linker
There's a bug in the 'linker' used by Arduino on Mac & Windows, where you can't make sketches that are larger than 4K on the Attiny85. Since its really likely you'll make sketches this large, we suggest replacing it. It's a lot like replacing the avrdude.conf
On Windows: explore the Arduino folder and get to the hardware\tools\avr\bin subfolder, you'll see a lot of files starting with avr-xxx.
On Mac: Explore the App and find Adafruit Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/avr/bin
trinket_BANNED.gif
Download the ld for your operating system and replace the one you have now (thanks to TCWorld for this fix!)
Download the new ld for Windows
Download the new ld for Mac
Now restart the Arduino IDE. You are done with setup! Now it's time to say "hello, world" to your new Trinket with the basic Blink sketch."

Shall I replace the "bin" or the whole "hardware"file?

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Setting up with the arduino-IDE

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Lillamymien wrote:Shall I copy the original file, rename the old one and keep the original copy and the arvude.bak file (The old original arvude.conf) or how should I do it?
Rename the old file avrdude.bak and copy the new avrdude.conf into the same folder
Lillamymien wrote:Shall I replace the "bin" or the whole "hardware"file?
No - just copy the actual ld file. Do't try to delete the bin or hardware folders.

Is there some reason you're not using the "easy way"? All you have to do it download our version of the Arduino IDE. All of this work is already done for you.

Lillamymien

Post by Lillamymien »

I did but got a lot of errors telling me that my device is not working correctly

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

What errors? What kind of computer? Can you post the exact errors you get?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”