Using FTDI with the bootloader, Pro Trinket

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jmackro

Using FTDI with the bootloader, Pro Trinket

Post by jmackro »

The page at https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... bootloader about the Pro Trinket bootloader contains the text:

The Pro Trinket is smart enough to auto-detect which bootloader you are trying to use. If you plug the USB port in, it will enumerate as a USBtinyISP for USB bootloader. If you plug in FTDI and use the Arduino Uno programming procedure it will use that technique

Despite what the above text says, I cannot get my ProTrinket to communicate with the bootloader via a FTDI Friend. It works fine when connected via USB to the port on the ProTrinket board. The Pro Trinket powers up OK through the FTDI Friend, but I can't download software nor read output in the serial monitor.

When the text above says “If you plug in FTDI and use the Arduino Uno programming procedure it will use that technique” does that mean:
- That under “Tools”, “Board” I should select “Arduino Uno” instead of “Pro Trinket” ?
- That I do not need to press the reset button before downloading code, since you don’t need to do that on an Uno?

- Also, would the serial port change between connecting directly via USB and connecting via FTDI? That is, if COM3 works via USB might I need some other COM port to connect via FTDI? I have tried a few alternate ports, but with no success.

- Do any additional drivers need to be downloaded to use FTDI? The first time I plugged FTDI in, I followed the Windows commands and got a “successful completion” message. I am running under Windows XP.

Whether the reset button is pushed first or not, I get the same error messages,:

If “Pro Trinket” is specified as the board: avrdude: Error: Could not find USBtiny device (0x1781/0xc9f)

If “Arduino uno” is specified as the board: avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x30

Do those error messages tell you anything?

Thank You

Jay Mackro

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Using FTDI with the bootloader, Pro Trinket

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Are you selecting "Pro Trinket(FTDI)" as the board type? You have to select that in order for it to program through the FTDI Friend.

The bit about the Arduino Uno programming procedure just refers to the fact that you don't have to press reset when you're using the FTDI Friend.

jmackro

Post by jmackro »

Thank you for the reply. Yes, after posting my question I realized that "Pro Trinket(FTDI)" was an option for board type. However, selecting that didn't change anything; I still got the same error messages.

It's good to know that I don't have to press reset when using FTDI Friend. But again, I tried it both with and without the button, got error messages either way, and failed to download new code.

So I am still stuck. Any other ideas?

adafruit_support_rick

Please post clear, detailed pictures of the Pro Trinket, showing your soldering.

jmackro

Post by jmackro »

Rick:

OK, I got it working. Thank you for your help.

Your suggestion to photograph the board implied that I might have a bad or shorted soldered joint. I did re-solder and re-inspect the connections to the FTDI connector. However, that wasn't the issue.

I hate to admit it, but I hadn't tried every COM port after learning that the the board type could be specified as “ProTrinket 5v/16mnz (FTDI)". When I did an exhaustive trial of every COM port I got it to work on COM15.

Is there a way to determine which COM port the Arduino or Trinket is connected to other than trial and error? In my experience so far, it has been a lower numbered port, typically 7 - 9.

adafruit_support_rick

It should show up in Device Manager. You can get there by right-clicking on My Computer, then selecting 'Manage'. The Computer Management window will come up, and you can select 'Device Manager' from the left pane.

jmackro

Post by jmackro »

Rick:

Hmm. I followed your suggestion and got to a screen with the heading “COMPUTER MANAGEMENT”. That displays a long list of devices – I clicked on the one labeled “USB Serial Converter” which took me to a screen with the heading “USB Serial Converter Properties”. Under the tab “General” there are lines labeled:

“Manufacturer FTDI” which suggested to me that I had selected the correct device, and:

“ Location 0 (FT232R USB UART)”

I had sort of hoped there would be a line of the form “and the COM port is FIFTEEN !”, but no such luck. Clicking on the “Advanced”, “Driver”, and “Details” tabs displays more stuff, but none that tells me which COM port my FTDI Friend is connected to.

What am I missing?

adafruit_support_rick

Look under "LPT and COM ports".

jmackro

Post by jmackro »

OK, Got it! I think we can close this one out.

Thanks again for your help

Jay

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”