I think my USBtiny has died

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
kscharf

I think my USBtiny has died

Post by kscharf »

I was moving the programmer from one PC to another. Now when I plug in the USB nothing lights.
The lsusb (I'm running Linux) does NOT list the device.
I'm not sure where to begin trouble shooting this, it's been working for a few years now.

Franklin97355

Re: I think my USBtiny has died

Post by Franklin97355 »

Clear, closeup photos of both sides of the board would help/ Also check your power points to make sure you are getting power through the cable.

kscharf

Post by kscharf »

Sometimes the green LED lights dimly when plugged into the USB. This programmer has been working flawlessly for at least two years now, it only died after connecting it to my computers usb port this evening, when it never 'showed up'.

Being that the usb port connects directly to the processor, I'd suspect the cpu was static zapped.

There is one mod to this programmer based on a suggestion on this forum years ago, the two 1.5k resistors between the isp ports and the buffer were shorted out (replaced by zero ohm resistors.).

kscharf

Post by kscharf »

OK here were are a day later and now the programmer does seem to function.
Differences....
1: I did have one bad USB cable in the mix.
2: USB tiny does NOT show up when plugged into a USB 3.0 port OR through a hub. Only works on a USB 2.0 port that lives on my computers motherboard.
I must have been using the front panel mounted USB 2.0 ports up until now. I recently added an extension cable to one of the USB 3.0 ports on the back of the machine and routed that to my desk. Works fine for Arduinos but NOT for the USBtiny.

Does this make any sense?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”