Using USBtinyISP to program Arduino Uno

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
SmileyDude

Using USBtinyISP to program Arduino Uno

Post by SmileyDude »

Hello --

I just purchased and put together a USBtinyISP and I was successfully able to use it with a few devices I had on hand (programmed a standalone ATtiny85 chip and also programmed SparkFun's Simon kit as well with it). But when I attempted to use it with an Arduino Uno board and it's ICSP header, I am not able to use it. I tried both the header for the 328P and the 16U2 chips, both with the same results.

I'm guessing that it might have to do with me powering the board through the ICSP header, but I wanted to just double check and make sure I wasn't doing something wrong. I do have jumpers installed on the USBtinyISP instead of resistors for R4 and R7, since I'm not using it with a SpokePOV.

If someone has successfully programmed either of the microcontrollers on the Arduino Uno with the USBtinyISP, I would appreciate hearing about how it was done.

Thanks!

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Using USBtinyISP to program Arduino Uno

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

It should work. I haven't done it with a Uno, but I've programmed other arduinos through the ICSP header.

According to the Uno schematic, you can power it through the ICSP header. But have you tried powering it through the barrel jack instead?
https://www.arduino.cc/en/uploads/Main/ ... ematic.pdf

SmileyDude

Re: Using USBtinyISP to program Arduino Uno

Post by SmileyDude »

adafruit_support_rick wrote:According to the Uno schematic, you can power it through the ICSP header. But have you tried powering it through the barrel jack instead?
I hadn't tried that yet, but the thought had crossed my mind. I'll give it a try sometime in the next few days and report back.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”