Conductive Thread and a Breadboard

For makers who have purchased an Adafruit Starter Pack, get help with the tutorials here!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Mecha_Musician

Conductive Thread and a Breadboard

Post by Mecha_Musician »

Instead of using wires and push buttons for something likr the FX board, is there a way to use conductive thread with Uno and a breadboard to represent the push buttons?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Conductive Thread and a Breadboard

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

You could connect your conductive threads to a capacitive touch sensor and relay the touch events via the UNO to the FX board.
https://www.adafruit.com/products/1982

Mecha_Musician

Post by Mecha_Musician »

So if I understand correctly, I would solder one side to the breadboard and the ports (0-11) I could loop conductive thread through it and place it where needed?

adafruit_support_bill

Actually, this version would be simpler to use, since you would not need an UNO in the middle and you would not need to do any programming:
https://www.adafruit.com/product/1362

You would connect your threads to the input side and solder connections from the output side to the FX trigger pins.

The holes on the breadboard are a bit small for attaching conductive thread directly. Another option is to solder some loops of wire to the inputs and tie your conductive thread to those.

Mecha_Musician

Post by Mecha_Musician »

I believe I'm starting to understand now. Thanks for all your help but I have one last question. So if I wanted 15 outputs using conductive thread would I need 3 FX boards and 3 of the standalone 5 and follow the same procedure for each of them?

adafruit_support_bill

Each FX board has 11 triggers. You could do 15 sounds with 2 FX boards and 3 of the 5-channel standalone capacitive touch boards.

Mecha_Musician

Post by Mecha_Musician »

Cool! I'll buy the pieces and get started! Sorry for all the questions lol but I really appreciate your help!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Starter Pack”