Board doesn't show up

For makers who have purchased an Adafruit Starter Pack, get help with the tutorials here!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
athanor

Board doesn't show up

Post by athanor »

I just got a starter pack (Uno), and it doesn't work in Ubuntu or Windows. In Windows, the device manager doesn't show it in ports, and it doesn't try to install any drivers. When it's plugged in, the green LED lights, and the orange one blinks. I don't know what to try to get it to register.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Board doesn't show up

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Have you tried a few different USB ports?

athanor

Post by athanor »

Yes, I tried all the ports on my laptop (Windows), and on my daughters Ubuntu 10.04 machine, and several on my Ubuntu 9.10 machine. On Ubuntu, it never shows in 'lsusb'. On Windows, nothing in device manager, and it doesn't try to install any drivers. It's an Uno, so from what I read, I don't need to get any drivers other from elsewhere. It should try to install something, then when it fails, I go to dev manager and point it to the Uno .inf file in the arduino-0021 directory tree.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I just tried installing an Uno here on a clean Win-7 machine. It did make an attempt to install the driver & failed as expected. But the board didn't show up under COM & LPT. It showed up under "Other Devices". It also showed up in the USB tree with an alert icon. From there I could install the correct driver.

If you are not seeing any of that, you should contact [email protected] - and be sure to reference this thread in your message.

athanor

Post by athanor »

Mine didn't show up either place. I also just tried on another Windows7 laptop and nothing. I sent the following to support:

Hello,
I bought a starter pack recently. I gave it to my daughter yesterday, and we tried to get it working. On her Ubuntu 10.04 box, and my Ubuntu 9.10 box, we can compile, but the 'Serial Ports' is greyed out. 'lsusb' doesn't show it. On my work Windows7 (64bit) laptop, plugging it in doesn't try to load any drivers, and it doesn't show in device manager under ports or other devices. I've tried various USB ports on each machine. I have not installed the FDTI drivers in Windows - from what I've read, I don't need to on a Uno.
The green light on the Uno lights, and the orange one flashes. It flashes a couple times at first (haven't counted), but it settles down to a repeating pattern of 4 flashes and a flicker (so 5 flashes, but the last one is shorter).
I unplugged the printer from my machine and used that USB cable on the Windows box in case it was a cable issue with the cable that came with it. I've tried pushing the reset button.

I asked on the forums: http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.phpf=21&t=18297

I'm posting the email to support here, as the automated reply said they would respond here, so I wanted everything here for others later (oh, and I got the experimenters pack, not starter, but that doesn't matter).

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

yes please respond to that message with a link to this thread as you have received debugging assistance and now need a replacement

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Starter Pack”