hello world problem

For makers who have purchased an Adafruit Starter Pack, get help with the tutorials here!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
zester

hello world problem

Post by zester »

Hello-
I tried running the 'hello world' problem from your tutorials, and when I uploaded the code to make it run continually, with no delay, (ie after ' void loop()' --> 'Serial.println'), it has completely overwhelmed the uno. (Buffer overflow type overwhelm) Now, I cannot open the serial moniter, or upload more code (error message 'serial port /dev/ttyACMO not found. Did you select the right one from tools>serial port menu') I do not have the option to chose tools>serial port, the selection is grayed out. If I push the rest button, and try and upload more code (to try and erase the 'hello world' program) I can occasionally get a 'port is in use' error message. The TX light is cranked, and my computer cpu is worked with the output from the arduino. I have tried restarting the arduino, the IDE, and the computer. How do I reset the arduino?

zester

Re: hello world problem

Post by zester »

Hello again-
In my quick check of the forum, I didn't notice this 'Serial Port Not Found During Lesson 4' was describing exactly my problem, and the solution worked too! Had to hold the reset button in for awhile after it was plugged in, then upload just after the reset backlog had cleared, but it worked...thank you!

Oh- What the solution was, was to unplug the board, hold the reset button in, and plug the arduino back in. I also found that after successfully doing this, I then tried to upload the 'hello world program with a delay', and went right back to square one, with the added bonus that holding the 'reset button in' trick no longer worked. So, I rebooted, tried again, it worked, i restarted the IDE, reloaded the 'hello world program with delay', and everyone is happy and working.
Hope this helps anyone else using debian style linux ububtu etc.

McBain

Re: hello world problem

Post by McBain »

This helped me a lot. I was having the exact same problem using the Uno with Ubuntu. The port would seem to get overwhelmed, and the sketch would be "stuck" on there. Thanks, this post and the one it points to saved me a lot of frustration when using the serial port.

EDIT: This worked for me initially, but after a few times the reset button stuff became an inconsistent workaround at best. Turns out there was a problem with the Atmega 328 chip on the Uno when it using the serial port with linux which required some new firmware to be created for the Uno (scroll down to post #34). I have linked that thread below and in the Lesson 4 thread zester references above. I haven't tried it for myself, but a lot of people struggling with the Uno and Ubuntu OS's attested to it's effectiveness.

http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaB ... 088093/all

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Starter Pack”