Arduino not being recognized by Windows?

For makers who have purchased an Adafruit Starter Pack, get help with the tutorials here!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
serchaos

Re: Arduino not being recognized by Windows?

Post by serchaos »

I found the same thing in my log file. Looking through it a bit more, it appears to be due to a bunch of move file operations not having privileges and failing. I'm assuming I can contact support as well from here.
Thank you both for all your help!

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

it appears to be due to a bunch of move file operations not having privileges and failing.
Which files are not being moved? Can you post the relevant parts of the log?

DanTheCarver

Post by DanTheCarver »

As a begining poster, I am posting this from a different thread as I don't know how to link to it from here.

I was having the same problem although in my case, the message was slightly different:
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x30 <-- 30 instead of 00.
Also, the TX and RX LEDs were never coming on.
I looked through many forums and tried the suggestions but nothing worked.
I then played with the COM port and it fixed the problem!
I was using COM3 which was the default. As far as I knew, I did not have anything using COM3 but then I remembered playing with a USB to Serial card about a year ago. So for the heck of it, I changed COM3 to COM9 and it worked! YEAH!!!
Here's what I did:
(I am on Vista) Control panel - System - Device Manager - Ports - Arduino - Properties - Port Settings - Advanced and changed COM Port Number to COM9. I OK'ed my way out of the properties and then ran the IDE. I went to Tools - Serial Port and set it to COM9. When I did that, it listed COM9 but there was not a check mark which I had seen when I was using COM 3. So I clicked on COM9 and the check mark was added (dunno what that means). I loaded the blink example (File - Examples - 1.Basics - Blink), uploaded it and it ran smooth as whistle!

So, my suggestion is try different COM ports, from 3-9 (I found a note saying Aruduino doesn't like ports above 9).

keysersoze40

Post by keysersoze40 »

Just a note - I ran into the same issue with an Arduino Uno SMD edition driver installation on WIndows 7 (64-bit). After installing the driver through the steps provided, I kept getting a Code 10 error (driver will not start or something like that). I went ahead and deleted the COM ports and device in Device Manager (selecting the checkbox to delete the driver software as well), then scanned for hardware changes and the Arduino Uno showed up in the "Other Devices" section.

I went ahead and took screenshots to step through how I was able to get it installed this morning before I head off to work, but the adafruit forum is hating on me this morning and will not let me upload the attachment... I feel like I've been kicked around by functionality that should work this morning, maybe I should call in sick and write this day off already... it's not even 9am yet. heh

Anyway, below is the text from that small install guide in case it proves to be useful for anyone. Sorry the screen shots wont go through.

Install UNO SMD Edition Driver for Windows 7 (64-bit)

After following the instructions for the Arduino UNO driver, I received a Code 10 (driver will not start). After playing around with it a bit, I found that something had not installed correctly. I went ahead and deleted the COM ports (and selected the option to remove the driver from the computer so it wouldn't auto resintall) and then started over.
After scannin gfor new hardware the Arduino Uno was showing up in "Other devices"

1. Right click on the Arduino Uno device in Device Manager and select "Update Driver Software"

2. Select "Browse my computer for driver software" and then "Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer"

3. Click "Next" on the "Select your device's type from the list below", leaving "Show All Devices" selected (default) and then click on "Have Disk"

4. Select "Browse" from the Install from Disk menu and navigate to your arduino software installation directory and go into drivers
(i.e. C:\Development\arduino-0023\drivers in my case)
You should see Arduino UNO in the file list. Highlight it and click "Open"

5. Click "Ok" at the install from Disk menu and hopefully "Communications Port" shows up now on the "Update Driver Software - Arduino Uno" box. Leave that highlighted and click "Next"

Note: I received a security warning which I had select "Install driver anyway"

6. The driver now installs and for me fixed the problem. The Arduino UNO now shows up as a COM port (COM4). It doesn't say it's an Arduino Uno, just a COM port. To verify, look at the Manufacturer in the COM port properties and it should say something like http://www.arduino.cc

The last thing I did was go into the COM Port properties and change the baud rate to 115200.

After that I was able to select the new COM port in the Arduino application, select the correct board type in "Tools". I compiled and successfully uploaded the sketch. Yay!

rrkawano

Post by rrkawano »

Hi all! I have the same problem! I tried with 2 laptops with windows vista. I have the same problem as descibed by "DanTheCarver" but change the com port did not work. I tried all other instructions of this tag forum with no success. I need help, please! Thanks!!

adafruit_support_bill

First step: Does the computer recognize the Arduino as a COM port when you connect it via the USB cable? You should be able to find it in the DeviceManager under Com Ports.

rrkawano

Post by rrkawano »

Hi Adafruit support!
No, when I plug the arduino board in my computer, nothing appears on device manager, neither in COM ports nor in other devices. So, I clicked on "add new hardware" (control pannel) and I installed manually a new COM port with arduino uno R3 driver. In the end of installation, it was showed a message "the program was installed but it will not work correctly”, “This hardware could not be started (Code 10)”. However, in device manager, now, a new COM port named as "Arduino uno R3" appears but with a yellow triangle of allert.
I restarted my computer but the problem persists. I uninstall the port and I repeated this procedure without success. I tried to "update driver" with a right clck on "arduino uno R3" port, but the same problem happens.
In arduino IDE, the "serial port" option in "tools" is not able to select. When I try to upload an example (blink led code) anyway, an error message is shown in IDE: "serial port COM not found".
Thanks for your help!

adafruit_support_bill

Do you see any activity on the Arduino LEDs when you plug it in?

Try plugging it into a different port. Also try using a different cable.

rrkawano

Post by rrkawano »

Many Thanks Adafruit!!!
I bought other 3 different usb cables and the last one works!!!
I'm thankfull for your assistance!!
:D :D :D

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Starter Pack”