Woo Hoo Looking forward to joining the club!

For makers who have purchased an Adafruit Starter Pack, get help with the tutorials here!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
igmo

Woo Hoo Looking forward to joining the club!

Post by igmo »

Just got my order in for the Adafruit Arduino Starter Pack and the Motor Party Kit this morning!

I am a computer repair technician at a locally owned repair shop. I understand the VERY basics of electronics on a theoretical level. (I know OHMS law, I know what parallel vs series is, I understand that switches will bounce back and forth, Pull-down resistors (or pull-ups) escape my grasp currently)

I have a background in Mathematics, I have done simple programming before (making complicated macros, some C++, and other tasks that require breaking down tasks into very simple if/then relationships)

I have always been envious of Electrical Engineers, it was a career path that was denied to me earlier in my life (Who knew that Anti-biotics could screw up birth control BANNED? Right? My oldest daughter taught me that....)

I have spent the past two weeks of free time reading the tutorials, following along with the programming, and mentally predicting the outcomes of the tutorial experiments. I have been to most Arduino sites that google and following links has allowed me.

My Arduino was bought as nothing more then an educational device. I have limited means and will not be able to purchase a new one if I should blow this one up. What are the most important things that I can do during my experimenting, to make sure that I protect my Arduino and my few motors/servos? When I get to be more experienced, I would certainly purchase more Arduino type devices, or possibly embark on having PCBs made.

What kind of things are appropriate to do with these small motors/servos, I would be ECSTATIC to see a servo move a specified number of degrees on my desk, but if I could make it accomplish more, I think I would wet myself.

The poor Arduino UNO that is going to be included with my kit is going to be abused (and re-abused) beyond most reasonable measures.

I can't wait until I get my first LED blinking at my every whim!

I look forward to any suggestions of things that I could try with my new purchases!

Thank you for your attention!

iGmO

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Woo Hoo Looking forward to joining the club!

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Welcome aboard! :D
What are the most important things that I can do during my experimenting, to make sure that I protect my Arduino and my few motors/servos?
The Arduino is fairly robust, but it is posible to damage it by overloading outputs or letting higher voltages or currents go where they are not supposed to go. A few things you can do to avoid damage:
  • Follow the step-by-step tutorials.
    Double check wiring before powering things up - especially when working with motors and other high-current loads.
    Remove power before making changes to the wiring.
    Stick or bolt your Arduino to a stable base (The plastic mounting plates in the shop are nice, but a scrap of plastic or plywood works just fine too).
    Keep your work space neat and free of stray parts and wires that might short something out.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Starter Pack”