network config for Mac OSX 10.4.11

For makers who have purchased an Adafruit Starter Pack, get help with the tutorials here!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mfleisher

network config for Mac OSX 10.4.11

Post by mfleisher »

So I haven't tracked down my Drawdio problems, so it's on to the next project. I can get my Arduino Uno to communicate with my modern Mac, but my old Titanium powerbook has network problems, I guess. In the USB tree, the Arduino Uno is recognized by name, but I seem to have screwed up the network config so i get the following errors when I try to upload Blink

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

I tried with and without downloading the the usb-serial driver.

Any advice is appreciated, and no I can't just migrate to the modern Mac, the rest of the family would not appreciate it.

Thanks, Martin

adafruit_support_bill

Re: network config for Mac OSX 10.4.11

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

You shouldn't need a driver for the Uno on a mac. Do you have the rignt board type (Uno) and device name (whatever your computer assigned to the Uno) selected in the IDE?

What LED activity do you see on the Uno when you try to upload?

mfleisher

Post by mfleisher »

Yes, more info would have been helpful. Under the tools menu, board->Arduino Uno and serial port->/tty/dev/tty.usbmodem1811. I've also tried with the other usb port and get a port id where the last 4 digits are 1911.

The LED activity is green power LED on always, "L" LED is constantly blinking at about 1 sec intervals all the time. When trying to upload the blink 0022 sketch, the "L" LED blinking rate varies as it tries to upload, there is occasional activity of the "RX" LED, 2 intervals of 2-3 blinks, but nothing from the "TX" LED.

I posted this same question to the Arduino.cc forum, and the one reply I got was that there is a problem with the drivers in OS X 10.4.xx, and that no solution has been found yet.

Thanks, Martin

dimitri

Post by dimitri »

Hey there,

Same problem here... the two UNOs That I got work just fine on my Intel IMac, but no go on my Titanium G4 as well... the only two leads I've gotten so far are:

!. 10.5 might fix the issue... I gambled and ordered a gig of RAM for about $60.00 so I can upgrade the OS
2. A vague reference on Arduino playground that states "Minor detail: on my OS X 10.4 box, I had to add a "-C /location/to/avrdude.conf" to AVRDUDE_FLAGS otherwise it's bombing out when avrdude wants to upload your code." --cramur

However, I have no idea where to insert the line... if any of you know where AVRDUDE_FLAGS is and where I can find my avrdude.conf file (appears to be a hidden file) then maybe we can all solve this together! :-)

Thanks
Dimitri

theduskofus

Post by theduskofus »

hey, did you ever figure this out? just got an Uno and it doesn't work on my powerbook g4 10.4.11, works fine on intel mac. about to assemble my linux/windows machine and see if it works on there, but the pbG4 is my main man, would love to have it running!

dimitri

Post by dimitri »

theduskofus wrote:hey, did you ever figure this out? just got an Uno and it doesn't work on my powerbook g4 10.4.11, works fine on intel mac. about to assemble my linux/windows machine and see if it works on there, but the pbG4 is my main man, would love to have it running!
Actually, I did! Upgraded to 10.5 and all works perfectly.

Hope this helps!
Dimitri

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Starter Pack”