Uno Board Layout

For makers who have purchased an Adafruit Starter Pack, get help with the tutorials here!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mikeglass

Uno Board Layout

Post by mikeglass »

I just got my Uno board and starter kit. There are six pins (3x2) I cannot find any reference to. They are between the "AREF" digital header and the USB input. On all of the boards I've seen, soldered up holes are in this position but on mine they have pins in them. Any Idea what they are for?

westfw

Re: Uno Board Layout

Post by westfw »

ISP programming pins for the 8u USB/Serial controller, I think.
Check out this annotated picture: http://www.flickr.com/photos/58843278@N00/5402516093
(Mouse over the bits to see what they do.)

MILLERRRR

Post by MILLERRRR »

I recently received a starter kit with this board and the same ISP pins. The base for these pins interfere with the head of the screw when trying to place the screw in the hole designated there, and causes the screw to go through at an angle rather than straight through.

m3741

Post by m3741 »

MILLERRRR wrote:I recently received a starter kit with this board and the same ISP pins. The base for these pins interfere with the head of the screw when trying to place the screw in the hole designated there, and causes the screw to go through at an angle rather than straight through.
I agree that this is a problem. I have an Uno that came with the AREF pins and the screw that mounts the board to the acrylic holder goes in at an angle. It is clearly designed for the Duemilanove which didn't have anything in that area. I'd say the holder needs a refresh or should be removed from the kit and the price dropped a few dollars.

verris

Post by verris »

5 seconds with an exacto knife to the black plastic corner on the header and my screw went in flush.

gomer_x

Post by gomer_x »

Another alternative is to move the screws to opposite corners. That's what I did. I got 4 holes and 2 screws, so I used the other 2 holes.

I mounted the screws upside-down (with the head underneath and the nut up top), and in this position the lower right nut interferes with the 9 volt input and doesn't turn well. I shaved off a tiny bit of the power socket and everything fit well. The power socket seems to have more plastic to cut than the header. I believe the extra pins on the header on the Uno R3 actually do have a function, though it's not much used by beginners.

5kingaddress

Post by 5kingaddress »

Just got the v1.3 Experimentation Starter Kit and couldn't get the holder mounting screws in straight. BANNED way to start but easy to fix; I put the screws in upside-down from the way they are shown in the book and then snipped off the extra length of the screws (fortunately they're plastic).
There wasn't enough room to fit the nuts on the top side of the board due to the power jack and one of the headers (both at the same end of the board).

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Starter Pack”