Driver Install not working

For makers who have purchased an Adafruit Starter Pack, get help with the tutorials here!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
skipper356

Driver Install not working

Post by skipper356 »

Hi All,

So I got my new starter kit today and I tried following the Tutorial-0 driver install instructions. I am running Windows XP Home SP3. From the FTDI site, I downloaded processor architecture 2.08.14 and from the commets section, I downloaded the 2.08.14 WHQL Certified setup executable. I put these all in one folder.
After I connected the Adruino board it did give me the "Windows found new hardware wizard". It only went throught the first windows of the install, after I said "Finish", a second window for the windows serial prot install never appeared. Is there a way to manually bring up the window?

So, going to the Device Manger, it does not show the virtual comport 3. I read a lot of the thread of issues people have had and I see that my Adruino is a UNO and it needs special VCP drivers? Is this that case, do I need to unistall the FTDI drivers and install UNO drivers?? How do I uninstall the FTDI drivers.

Thanks for the help, at this point I am confused as to which drivers to install and where place them on my machine.

Thanks!

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Driver Install not working

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

First you need to figure out what driver was actually installed (if any) and un-install it. Look in the Device Manager under the USB devices for any suspicious looking devices - especially ones that are flagged as having a problem.

Once you have uninstalled the old driver. The next time you plug in the Uno, you can point the new hardware wizard to the Uno driver in the Library folder at the top level of your Arduino install.

skipper356

Post by skipper356 »

Ok, so I tried to do an install of the drivers but they were no listed in my "add remomve program" options. I am thinking maybe they were not installed? I just deleted the folders where I dump all the files.

I checked the Library folder and see there is a UNO file, I assume it is the driver. Plugging in the UNO Adruino, I do not get the new hardare wizard to come up to point it to the driver. How do I get the new hardware wizard to turn on?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I tried to do an install of the drivers but they were no listed in my "add remomve program" options.
You have to uninstall the drivers using the Device manager. Find the device (probably under USB devices) and uninstall it. Once it is gone, the hardware wizard should pop up when you plug in the Uno.

skipper356

Post by skipper356 »

You are brilliant, that worked. Deinstalled from Device Manger and then it did give me the new hardware wizard.

I then tried to run the example 1 (blinking light) of the turorial 1 but it would not compile. It gave me the errow below.

Cannot run program E:\arduino-002\arduino-022\hardware\tools\avr\bin\avr-g++: Creatprocess error=2, the system cannot find file specified

I looked in the library folder under the exaples and there are file there. I think the message is say that it cannot locate them?

Any suggestions?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Starter Pack”